St Stephens In Brannel
1868 - The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland
"ST. STEPHEN'S IN BRANNEL, a parish in the hundred of Powder, county Cornwall, 4 miles N.W. of St. Austle, its post town, and 12 from Bodmin. It is mentioned in Domesday survey as Bernel, and was held at that time by the Earl of Mortaigne, and was part of Caerhayes. It is situated in the midst of a mineral district, and is productive of granite, tin, copper, iron, antimony, and a fine white clay extensively used in the porcelain manufactures of Staffordshire. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Exeter, value £780. The church is an ancient Norman structure with a detached tower, situated on a hill. It contains the tomb and rhyming epitaph on Dr. Wolrige. There are National schools, and four almshouses endowed by James Buller in 1726.