The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868
"ST. STITHIANS, a parish in the hundred of Kerrier, county Cornwall, 4 miles S.E. of Redruth, and 9 S.W. of Truro. This parish includes a part of the village of Ponsnooth, and the Druid stones called the Nine Sisters. There are powder and paper mills. The surface is hilly, and the substratum principally granite and slate, with veins of tin. The land, which is principally in dairy farms, is fertile and well cultivated, though the soil is somewhat shallow. The living is a vicarage* in the diocese of Exeter, value with Perran Arworthal £377. The church, dedicated to St. Stedian, is an ancient structure of granite, situated 390 feet above the sea-level. There is a chapel for Wesleyans, also a National school. In this parish are several ancient sculptured crosses.
"PONSANOOTH, (or Ponsanooth), a hamlet in the parishes of St. Gluvias and St. Stithians, hundred of East Kerrier, county Cornwall, 3 miles N.W. of Penryn, and 6 from Truro. It is situated on the road from Falmouth and Redruth to Penryn. The inhabitants are partly employed in the woollen manufacture, and others in the Kennal gunpowder mills in the vicinity. There are places of worship for Wesleyans and Bible Christians, also a village school.