St Thomas The Apostle
The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868
"ST. THOMAS THE APOSTLE, a parish in the N. division of East hundred, county Cornwall. It adjoins the borough of Launceston, its post town, and includes the hamlet of St. Thomas Street. The village is situated on the Kensey stream. There are quarries of good building-stone, and manganese is obtained. In the vicinity is a portion of the wall of the canonry founded by Bishop Warlewast in 1126. At the Dissolution its revenue was valued at £354 0s. 11d. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of Exeter, value £110, in the patronage of the ratepayers. The church stands on the site of the priory, and contains some ancient tombs. The Launceston grammar school, and the National schools for the parishes of St. Thomas and St. Stephen are situated in this parish. At Kestelwood are vestiges of ancient earthworks."