The parish of St Tudy, (Cornish: Eglostudi), is situated in the Deanery of Trigg Minor and Hundred of Trigg. It is bounded on the north by St Teath and Michaelstow, on the east by St Breward, on the south by St Mabyn, and on the west by St Kew. Saint Tudy is also honoured at several places in Brittany, and may be a pet-form name for St Tugdual, who was an important Breton saint (O.J.Padel).
The parish is situated in a farming area between the Rivers Camel and Allen. The Bligh family (of 'Mutiny on the Bounty' fame) lived at Tinten for several generations; several of them became mayors of Bodmin. The only village is the Churchtown.
Most parish and church description(s) on these pages are from Lake's Parochial History of the County of Cornwall by J Polsue (Truro, 1867 - 1873)
The Cornwall Family History Society have published Monumental Inscriptions for the Parish Church - 317 entries.
Census information for this parish (1841 - 1901) is held in the Cornwall Record Office. The Cornwall Family History Society offers a census search service for its members.
Specific census information for this parish is available as follows:
- 1841. The 1841 Census of St Tudy (HO107/152), Enumeration Districts 10 and 11, is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project.
- 1851. The 1851 Census of St Tudy (HO107/1904), Enumeration Districts 5a and 5b, is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project.
- 1861. The 1861 Census of St Tudy (RG9/1535), (Enumeration District 4 and 5), is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project.
- 1871. The 1871 Census of St Tudy (RG10/2248), Enumeration Districts 4 and 5, is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project.
- 1881. The 1881 Census of St Tudy (RG11/2290), Enumeration Districts 4 and 5, is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project.
- 1891. The 1891 Census of St Tudy (RG12/1815) (Enumeration Districts 8 and 9), is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project.
- Anglican. The parish church is located in OS Grid Square SX0676 and was dedicated to St Tudius. It comprises a chancel, nave, south aisle, and a short north aisle. The south arcade has six four-centred arches on monolith granite pillars; the north arcade has three similar arches with like pillars. There are a south porch, a priest's door, and a blocked north door. The tower has three stages, is 64 feet in height, and is finished with battlements and pinnacles; it contains five bells.
St Tudy church was "thoroughly restored" in 1873 (when the excellent wagon roofs were "bereft" of intervening plaster). The tower was repaired in 1887-8.
- Non-Conformist. There is a United Methodist Free Church chapel in the Churchtown.
- LDS Church Records.
- The LDS Church batch numbers for St Tudy are: C002172, E002171, P002171, M002171. These are searchable by surname.
- The IGI coverage of this parish is 1559 - 1875.
- The Cornwall Record Office holdings: Baptisms 1559 - 1865, Burials 1559 - 1899, Marriages 1560 - 1963, Boyd's Marriage Index 1560 - 1812, Pallot's Marriage Index 1790 -1812.
- The Cornwall Family History Society have published on-line transcripts of:
- Pre 1813 Marriages
- 1813-37 Marriages
- 1813-37 Burials.
- Parish Registers - General. The parish registers (i.e. all the births, marriages and burial records) from 1559 to the present day have been transcribed by the parish. St Tudy Church Records Database (the church records for Burials, Baptisms and Marriages from 1559 to 2000) have been put onto a database at the St Tudy Rectory. (2/2017 - the parish history group site doesn't seem to have this data but see wikipedia for a table showing all available records)
- Baptisms 1813 to 1911 in this parish are available on-line through the OPC search Facility - (C-PROP).
- The Cornish Forefathers' Society have published on CD, baptisms 1740 to 1840 for this parish which can be purchased on Parish Chest.
- Banns. Banns 1823 to 1900 in this parish are available on-line through the OPC search Facility - (C-PROP).
- Phillimore's marriages 1560 to 1812, and parish marriages 1837 to 1900, in this parish are available on-line through the OPC search Facility - (C-PROP).
- The Cornwall Family History Society have published transcripts of: Marriages in the Parish 1560 to 1836, which is available in CD or downloadable .pdf file formats.
- Phillimore's Marriages at St Tudy - 1560 to 1812 are available on-line from UK Genealogy Archhives.
The parish of St Tudy is in the Bodmin Registration District, and has been since 1st July 1837; there were sub-districts are Bodmin, Egloshayle, Lanlivery and St Mabyn but these have now been abolished. Parishes within the district were: Blisland, Bodmin, Bodmin Borough, Cardinham, Egloshayle, Endellion, Helland, Lanhydrock, Lanviet, Lanlivery, Lostwithiel, Luxulion, St. Kew, St. Mabyn, St. Minver Highlands, St. Minver Lowlands, St. Tudy, St. Winnow, Temple, Wadebridge, Warleggon, Withiel.
The Superintendant Registrar can be contacted at: Lyndhurst, 66 Nicholas Street, Bodmin, Cornwall, PL31 2AG. Tel: 01208 73677.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from St Tudy to another place.
"ST. TUDY, a parish in the hundred of Trigg, county Cornwall, 6 miles N. of Bodmin, its post town. The village, which is considerable, formerly belonged to the family of Nicolls, of Penrose, from whom it came to the Kekewicks. The substratum abounds in slate and porphyry. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Exeter, value £700, in the patronage of Christ Church, Oxford. The church contains monuments and effigies of the Nicolls family. Dr. R. Lower, the physician, and his brother, Sir William, the dramatist, were born at Tremere, in this parish. The principal residence is Hengar. Fairs are held on 20th May and 14th September.
- OPC Assistance. The On-line Parish Clerk (OPC) scheme operates a service to help family historians; the OPC page for this parish is available on-line, from where the OPC can be contacted by email.
The Domesday Settlements of Cornwall, a study undertaken by the Cornwall Branch of the Historical Association, has identified and located settlements listed in the Exeter and Exchequer Domesday Survey of AD 1086. The following places have been identified in St Tudy ecclesiastical parish:
You can see the administrative areas in which St Tudy has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
- Map of the Bodmin Registration District in which the parish lies.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SX066764 (Lat/Lon: 50.55527, -4.731332), St Tudy which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
Apprenticeship Indentures for St Tudy (1803 - 1828) can be found in the Cornwall Record Office.
- St Tudy parish was part of the Bodmin Union for Poor Law administration and parish relief.
- Overseers' Accounts (1797 to 1838) and Settlement Papers (1830), are available in the Cornwall Record Office.