Tideford, (Cornish: Rystydi), is in the Deanery and Hundred of East. It is situated on the A38 between Saltash and Liskeard. The origin of name is taken from 'Ford over the River Tiddy', indicating an early river crossing. The name is pronounced 'Tiddy-ford'.
The parish was created from part of St Germans parish in 1852.
Most parish and church description(s) on these pages are from Lake's Parochial History of the County of Cornwall by J Polsue (Truro, 1867 - 1873)
Census information for this parish (1861 - 1901) is held in the Cornwall Record Office. The Cornwall Family History Society offers a census search service for its members.
Specific census information for this parish is available as follows:
- In the 1841 Census, Tideford was enumerated as part of St Germans.
- The 1841 census for St Germans parish has also been filmed by the LDS church - film No. 241259.
- The 1851 Census of Tideford (HO107/1900), Enumeration Districts 2c and 2d, is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project.
- The New Zealand Society of Genealogists have compiled separate surname indexes of the 1851 Census for each Cornish registration district; St Germans is listed in Volume 9. The booklets are available in Cornwall at the Cornwall Centre, (formerly known as the Cornish Studies Library), and is also available in the Cornwall FHS Library.
- 1861. The 1861 Census of Tideford (RG9/1524), Enumeration Districts 7d and 8b, is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project.
- 1871. The 1871 Census of Tideford (RG10/2230), Enumeration Districts 7 and 8, is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project.
- 1881. The 1881 Census of Tideford (RG11/2281), Enumeration Districts 7 and 8, is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project.
- 1891. The 1891 Census of Tideford (RG12/1807), Enumeration Districts 7 and 8, is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project.
- Anglican. The parish church is located in OS Grid Square SX3459 and was dedicated to St Luke. The building was originally erected as a chapel-of-ease in St Germans parish. It is a small plain structure constructed of stone, in the early English style, and was consecrated on 31st July 1845. It consists of a chancel, nave and gable-cote containing two bells; it is fitted with oak seats and contains a pulpit. The registers date from 1845.
Tideford is now part of the united parishes of St Germans, Hessenford, Downderry and Tideford.
- Non-Conformist. The Wesleyan Methodists and Reformed Methodists had chapels here; the former was built in 1838.
- Quakers. There was a chapel belonging to the Society of Friends (Quakers) in Tideford with a cemetery attached.
- Banns. Banns 1875 to 1907 for this parish are available on-line through the OPC search Facility - (C-PROP).
- Marriages. Marriages 1852 to 1905 for this parish are available on-line through the OPC search Facility - (C-PROP).
- Burials. Burials 1866 to 1906 for this parish are available on-line through the OPC search Facility - (C-PROP).
The parish of Tideford is in the St Germans Registration District, and has been since its creation; there were sub-districts at Antony, St Germans and Saltash but they have now been abolished. The Superintendant Registrar of St Germans can be contacted at: Ploughastel Drive, St Germans, Cornwall. Tel: 01752 842624.
- Photographs of Tideford are available on-line.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Tideford to another place.
OPC Assistance. The On-line Parish Clerk (OPC) scheme operates a service to help family historians; the OPC page for this parish is available on-line, from where the OPC can be contacted by email.
You can see the administrative areas in which Tideford has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
- Map of the St Germans Registration District in which the parish lies.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SX347597 (Lat/Lon: 50.414261, -4.328529), Tideford which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
Tideford parish became part of the St Germans Union for Poor Law administration and parish relief on its creation.
The parish of Tideford was created in 1852 from St Germans parish; population figures before this date are included under St Germans.