The parish of Treneglos, (Cornish: Treneglos), is situated in the Deanery of Trigg Major and the Hundred of Lesnewth. It is bounded on the north by Warbstow, on the east by Tremaine and Tresmere, on the south by Laneast and St Clether, and on the west by Davidstow and Warbstow. Treneglos is situated in north Cornwall near the Devonshire border. The Cornish origin of name is 'Farm of the church'. Although Treneglos was not rated in the Domesday Survey of 1086, a reference to the church can be found in that survey.
Most parish and church description(s) on these pages are from Lake's Parochial History of the County of Cornwall by J Polsue (Truro, 1867 - 1873)
The Cornwall Family History Society have published Monumental Inscriptions for the Parish Church - 229 entries.
Census information for this parish (1841 - 1901) is held in the Cornwall Record Office. The Cornwall Family History Society offers a census search service for its members.
Specific census information for this parish is available as follows:
- 1841. The 1841 Census of Treneglos (HO107/140), Enumeration District 6, is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project.
- 1861. The 1861 Census of Treneglos (RG9/1518) is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project. The enumeration districts of the parish for this census cannot be determined.
- 1871. The 1871 Census of Treneglos (RG10/2223), Enumeration District 7a, is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project.
- 1881. The 1881 Census of Treneglos (RG11/2275), Enumeration District 7, is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project.
- 1891. The 1891 Census of Treneglos (RG12/1802), Enumeration District 7, is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project.
- Anglican. The parish church is located in OS Grid Square SX2088 and was dedicated to St Gregory. The church consists of a chancel and nave, and north aisle. The entrance is by a south porch, but there is also a north door.
There was a church here from Saxon times; in the Domesday Survey of 1086, the church was given to the Priory at Tywardreath. The church was confirmed to the Priory by Bishop Chichester on 14th February 1154. The present church was rebuilt in 1858, and the tower having become very dilapidated, was taken down in 1871 and completely rebuilt; the four bells were reused.
- Non-Conformist. There was a Bible Christian chapel at Bethel.
- LDS Church Records.
- The LDS Church batch numbers for Treneglos are: E022141, C022141, M022141. These are searchable by surname.
- The IGI coverage of this parish is 1676 - 1813.
- The Cornwall Record Office holdings: Baptisms 1686 - 1812, Burials 1675 - 1812, Marriages 1675 - 1838, Boyd's Marriage Index 1694 - 1812, Pallot's Marriage Index 1800 - 1812, BTs 1597 - 1673.
- The Cornwall Family History Society have published on-line transcripts of:
- Pre 1813 Marriages
- 1813-37 Marriages.
- Baptisms 1686 to 1911 for this parish are available on-line through the OPC search Facility - (C-PROP).
- The Cornish Forefathers' Society have published on CD, baptisms 1695 to 1812 for this parish which can be purchased on Parish Chest.
- The Parish Chest have published on CD, baptisms 1813 to 1908 for this parish.
- The Cornwall Family History Society have published transcripts of: Marriages in the Parish 1614 to 1837, which is available in CD or downloadable .pdf file formats.
- Phillimore marriages 1762 to 1809, and marriage transcripts 1813 to 1911, in this parish are available on-line through the OPC search Facility - (C-PROP).
- The Cornish Forefathers' Society have published on CD, marriages 1694 to 1838 for this parish which can be purchased on Parish Chest.
The parish of Treneglos is in the Launceston Registration District and has been since 1st July 1837. There were sub-districts at Altarnun, Launceston, North Hill, North Petherwin and St Stephen-by-Launceston, but these are now all closed. Parishes within the district were: Altarnun, Boyton, Egloskerry, Laneast, Launceston, Lawhitton, Lewannick, Lezant, Northill, St. Mary Magdalene, St. Stephens by Launceston, St. Thomas the Apostle, St. Thomas Street, South Petherwin, Stokeclimsland, Tremaine, Treneglos, Tresmeer, Trewen, Warbstow.
The Superintendant Registrar can be contacted at: Hendra, Dunheved Road, Launceston, PL15 9JG. Tel: 01566 772464.
- Photographs of Treneglos are available on-line.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Treneglos to another place.
OPC Assistance. The On-line Parish Clerk (OPC) scheme operates a service to help family historians; the OPC page for this parish is available on-line.
You can see the administrative areas in which Treneglos has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
- Map of the Launceston Registration District in which the parish lies.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SX204887 (Lat/Lon: 50.670534, -4.542927), Treneglos which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
Treneglos parish was part of the Launceston Union for Poor Law administration and parish relief.