Treslothan, (Cornish: Tresulwedhen), parish is the southern part of the original parish of Camborne from which it was created in 1845. It is in the Hundred of Penwith and Deanery of Carnmarth. One Sir William Pendarves, who lived in the 17th century, entertained his friends by mixing punch in a coffin made of copper. It was at this time copper competed in importance to tin, as shafts could now be sunk lower reaching the rich lodes below the tin.
Near to the Pendarves mausoleum is the grave of John Harris, he left Cornwall only once in the 64 years of his life. His only education was at the village school, but he taught himself to write poetry, saved money to buy books, built a house with his own hands. John born in Camborne in 1820 ceased schooling at the age of 9 and started working on a farm. At the age of 10 he went to Dolcoath mine as a dresser of copper ore, but found time to read his books and began to write verses about the scenes he saw every day. When some miners were killed in Carn Brea mine he wrote a poem in their memory which was sung in the streets of Camborne, and the rector, recognising his talent, lent him books of poetry. He became a lay preacher among the Wesleyans, but continued to write; another preacher who had started life as a farm lad but made a fortune in business, arranged for the publication of his poems. This resulted in a new volume almost every year. He was to win the first prize for a Shakespeare Tercentenery Poem, and it was in winning this prize that John mad his one journey outside Cornwall, to Stratford. In 1878 he had a paralytic stroke, but this did not prevent him from writing his last work - an Autobiography - which was published two years before his death at Falmouth.
Most parish and church description(s) on these pages are from Lake's Parochial History of the County of Cornwall by J Polsue (Truro, 1867 - 1873)
- Memorial inscriptions from the Treslothan cemetery, and recorded by the CORNWALL INSCRIPTIONS PROJECT were recorded during 2002 and 2003 when a total of 1122 memorials were found with 2424 names noted.
- The Cornwall Family History Society have published Monumental Inscriptions for the Parish Church - 251 entries.
- War Memorial inscriptions for Treslothan parish (1914-1918 and 1939-1945 Wars) are also available.
Census information for this parish (1841 - 1901) is held in the Cornwall Record Office. The Cornwall Family History Society offers a census search service for its members.
Specific census information for this parish is available as follows:
- 1841. In the 1841 Census, Treslothan was enumerated as part of Camborne.
- 1851. In the 1851 Census, Treslothan (HO107/1916) was enumerated as part of Camborne, which is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project as follows:
- 1861. The 1861 Census of Treslothan (RG9/1584) is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project as follows:
- 1871. The 1871 Census of Treslothan (RG10/2326) is available on-line from the Cornwall On-line Census project as follows:
- Enumeration Districts 12 to 14.
- Enumeration District 15. It should be noted that other parts of Camborne (St Martin's) parish are also included in ED 15, which also covers Penponds parish as well as Treslothan parish.
- 1881. The 1881 Census of Treslothan (RG11/2335), Enumeration Districts 8 to 10, is available on-line from the Cornwall On-line Census project.
- 1891. The 1891 Census of Treslothan, (Camborne, St John's - RG12/1851), Enumeration Districts 8 to 10, is available on-line from the Cornwall On-line Census project.
- Anglican. The parish church is located in OS Grid Square SW6537 and was dedicated to St John the Evangelist. From the WEST BRITON Newspaper, Friday 5th August, 1842: CONSECRATION OF NEW CHURCHES - On Monday se'nnight, his Lordship (the Lord Bishop of Exeter) consecrated the Chapel of Ease to Camborne, recently erected at Treslothan.
"The chapel is built in the earliest pointed or 'lancet style' - a style to be 'especially cultivated by all who are not more influenced by Episcopal associations and ideas of apostolic descent than by limited pecuniary means and the necessities of a subscription list.' So speaks the architect himself in his 'Palace of Architecture.' The lancet arch and window, though capable of being rendered highly ornate, admit of an almost perfect simplicity, and it has been Mr. WIGHTWICK's aim to carry on the decorative only so far as might leave undiminished the expenditure required to provide solid material and substantial workmanship. In the present instance, the decorative character of the building, particularly its beautiful open roof, is, we understand, mainly owing to the liberality of E.W.W. PENDARVES, Esq., M.P., who, in addition to the site, handsomely gave a donation of £500; and we understand the architect has expressly acknowledged that in this instance, he desires to make no excuses on the score of too limited means. Economy has, of course, been necessary; but he has been enabled to work out his theme satisfactorily to himself, and is content to abide by that critical judgment which may be formed with reference to an outlay of £1,500. The entire length of the building is 90 feet; its extreme width,36. The main chapel has an arch of 62 feet by 30 feet, and an altitude of 30 feet. At the west end is the choir,in a large arched recess,and at the east end is another arch, opening into the chancel, beyond which (divided from it by the alter-screen), is a robing-room. The chancel projection is flanked by two porches. The stone cross which rises from the apex of the chancel gable is in fact the chimney top of the vestry flue. The western gable is crowned by a simple turret of solid granite, in which swings a fine-toned bell of 4 cwt. The interior derives richness of effect from the perspective of the roof, the trusses of which are visible to a certain height, and decorated with moulded joinery." (Extract from THE WEST BRITON - Friday, October 8th, 1841).
The present church was openind on 6th October 1841 and was consecrated on 25th July 1842 before the creation of its parish in 1845. In one of the graves sleeps William Cole Pendarves who was churchwarden here for half a century; the mausoleum of the Pendarves family is in the churchyard.
The parish is now part of the Crowan and Treslothan ministry.
- Non-Conformist. There was a United Methodist Free Church at Troon, and a Wesleyan church at Troon and Beacon.
Early records will be found under Camborne. Also parish is stated as 'Camborne' until 1876.
- Baptisms. Baptisms 1845 to 1911 for this parish are available on-line through the OPC search Facility - (C-PROP).
- Burials. Burials 1845 to 1929 for this parish are available on-line through the OPC search Facility - (C-PROP).
The Cornwall Record Office holdings: Baptisms 1845 - 1991, Marriages 1845 - 1988.
The parish of Treslothan is in the Registration District of Camborne-Redruth, and has been since its creation. Parishes in this registration district are: Camborne, East Phillack, Gwennap, Gwinear, Gwithian, Illogan, Phillack, Redruth, St. Sithian's, West Phillack.
The address of the Superintendant Registrar of Camborne-Redruth is: Roskear, Camborne, TR14 8DN. Tel: 01209 612924.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Treslothan to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Treslothan has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
- Map of the Camborne and Redruth Registration district in which the parish lies.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SW652378 (Lat/Lon: 50.193386, -5.291548), Treslothan which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
Treslothan parish became part of the Redruth Union for Poor Law administration and parish relief on its creation.
Treslothan was created from part of Camborne parish in 1845. Population figures before this date are with that parish.