Truro St George
Truro St George's, (Cornish: Truru Sen Jori), is a relatively modern parish in Truro, which was created 1847. It is situated in the north-west part of the city. and is named after the 19th century church of St. George. The parish was gazetted on 11th August 1846. (Also see main entry in Truro St Mary).
Most parish and church description(s) on these pages are from Lake's Parochial History of the County of Cornwall by J Polsue (Truro, 1867 - 1873)
The Cornwall Family History Society have published Monumental Inscriptions for the Parish Church - 15 entries.
Census information for parishes in this town (1841 - 1901) is held in the Cornwall Record Office. The Cornwall Family History Society offers a census search service for its members.
Specific census information for this parish is available as follows:
- 1851. The 1851 Census of Kenwyn (HO107/1910), Truro, St George's parish, Enumeration Districts 1 (Hospitals), 1d, 1e, and 1f, is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project.
- 1861. The 1861 Census of Kenwyn (RG9/1560), Enumeration District 6 (Truro, St George's parish), is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project.
- 1871. The 1871 Census of Truro, St George is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project as follows:
- 1881. The 1881 Census of Truro, St George (RG11/2312) is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project as follows:
- 1891. The 1891 Census of Truro, St George (RG12/1830) is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project as follows:
Anglican. The parish church is located in OS Grid Square SW8244 and was dedicated to St George the Martyr. It is situated in Carvedras and was opened in 1849; it is a stone edifice of the early English style. It consists of an apsidal chancel with five stained-glass windows, a nave, and north and south transepts. Rising from the chancel by three steps, and separated from it by a magnificent arch, is the apsidal sanctuary. There is a north porch, a priest's door and a vestry door. The tower is of three stages with a plain parapet and crocketed pinnacles.
From the West Briton and Cornwall Advertiser. Friday 27th April, 1849:
OPENING OF A NEW TEMPORARY CHURCH AT TRURO. - The district of St. George has been taken out of the populous parish of Kenwyn, under Sir ROBERT PEEL's Church Endowment Act. The district contains about 2,500 inhabitants, and the first minister appointed was the Rev. WILLIAM FOUNTAINE ADDISON. On the arrival of the minister a room was licensed for the celebration of divine service. Sunday and day-schools were also established, there being connected with the latter about two hundred children. The licensed room proved too small for the congregation; efforts were therefore made to obtain a site for a permanent church; but these being unsuccessful, it was determined, with the sanction of the Bishop of the Diocese, to erect a temporary building. A site was rented from a tenant of the Earl of Falmouth, who with his usual liberality, gave GBP5 towards the cost of the structure.
Mr. WHITE, architect, gratuitously gave his services, and the building being completed, was opened for divine worship on Monday last. At the morning service there was a very full and respectable congregation from Truro and its neighbourhood, and about forty clergymen were present.
The choir of St. Mary's church, Truro, were in attendance with Mr. HEMPEL, the organist, who performed on the seraphin. There was a full choral service, and the Rev. E. SHUTTLEWORTH, vicar of Egloshayle, and the Rev. R. K. CORNISH chanted the prayers. The first lesson was read by the Dean Rural, the Rev. F. WEBBER, of St. Michael Penkivel, and the second lesson by the Rev. TOWNSEND BOSCAWEN. The venerable Archdeacon PHILLPOTTS read the communion service; the epistle was read by the Rev. R. K. Cornish, and the gospel by the Rev. Prebendary LAMPEN. Before the sermon Handel's "Hallelujah chorus" was sung by the choir, and the sermon was then preached by the Rev. Prebendary Cornish, from the 1st of Corinthians 14th chap. And 40th verse. "Let all things be done decently and in order." The preacher discoursed of the excellency and stability of Episcopacy as compared with other systems; he traced its establishment to the apostolic age, and declared it to be of divine institution. After the sermon the offertory sentences were read by the Rev. W. F. Addison, and the offerings of the congregation were received; the prayer for the church militant was also read by the Rev. W. F. Addison, and the blessing was pronounced by the Archdeacon. At a quarter past six there was an evening service, and a very crowded congregation attended. The prayers were chanted by the Rev. R. K. Cornish; the lessons were read by the Rev. J. HARDIE, and the Rev. G. L. CHURCH, and the sermon was preached by the Rev. W. F. ADDISON from Malachi 3rd chapter 3rd verse. A considerable amount in pence was received at this service; and added to the sum received in the morning, the whole contributions, with one or two subsequent donations, amounted to about £33. A gentleman also has desired Mr. Addison to make any addition to the present arrangements of the church to the amount of £20 cost, imposing as a condition that his name should not be mentioned. In the afternoon the children of the schools, numbering about two hundred, marched to Kenwyn, and on their return took tea together in the school-room. Having thus stated the proceedings of the day, we shall next describe the church. It is constructed of wood, and the style is the first pointed, commonly called the Early English style. The exterior is rigidly plain, with a bold cross at the eastern and western ends of the roof, and a wooden bell-cot surmounted with a banner cross, to mark the division between the nave and the chancel.
The east window is a triplet, the side windows are couplets, and at the west end are two lancet windows. The chancel is 19 feet by 20; the nave 56 feet by 20; the height 10 feet to the wall-plate, and 25 feet to the ridge. On the south side there is a sacristy, and a priest's door on the north side. The chancel has returned stalls, at one of which, on the south side, prayers are said. The lessons are read from the lectern in the centre of the chancel. A plain open chancel screen extends to the eaves of the building, the lower part being boarded and finished with a row of pierced quatrefoils. The pulpit is plain, but good, the panels being ornamented with well-executed decorative painting, of which the subjects are the monogram J.H.S., the Greek monogram X.R., and St. George's cross on a shield. There is also some ornamental needle-work, namely, the cover of the communion table, the pulpit cushion and frontal cloth, and the hangings of the reading desk and lectern. This needle work was the gift of ladies interested in the welfare of the church. On the frontal cloth of the pulpit is a red floriated cross, worked in yellow silk, with four small crosses at the angles, in yellow and green wool. The hangings of the stall from which prayers are said, and of the lectern, are of blue cloth, embroidered in green, yellow, and crimson silk. The cover of the communion table is of crimson cloth, with a St. George's cross in the central division of the frontal. The panels of the roof in the chancel are coloured blue, and the decoration over the communion table is painted in distemper, with appropriate taste. Around the church are painted illuminated texts of scripture, and a painted string is continued around, carried under the windows and over the doors. The nave is furnished with low moveable benches, with straw mats for kneeling; the building will seat about three hundred and thirty persons including the choir, and the cost has been about GBP230, towards which several gentlemen of the neighbourhood have contributed. Daily service will be celebrated in this church.
- The Cornwall Record Office holdings: Baptisms 1847 - 1964, Marriages 1856 - 1984.
- Marriages. Marriages 1871 to 1877 in this parish are available on-line through the OPC search Facility - (C-PROP).
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Truro St George to another place.
OPC Assistance. The On-line Parish Clerk (OPC) scheme operates a service to help family historians; the OPC page for this parish is available on-line.
- Map of the Truro Registration District in which the parish lies.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SW820449 (Lat/Lon: 50.263747, -5.060133), Truro St George which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
Truro St George parish became part of the Truro Union for Poor Law administration and parish relief after its creation.
The population figures for for Truro, St George are included in those of Truro City. However, in 1881 the population was 2800 persons, and in 1901 the population is recorded as 3315 persons.