St John's parish, (Cornish: Truru Sen Jowann), is a relatively modern parish of Truro, in the southern part of the city. It was created from part of Truro in 1852. It is named after the 19th century church of St. John to whom the church is dedicated.
Most parish and church description(s) on these pages are from Lake's Parochial History of the County of Cornwall by J Polsue (Truro, 1867 - 1873)
Census information for parishes in this town (1841 - 1901) is held in the Cornwall Record Office. The Cornwall Family History Society offers a census search service for its members.
Specific census information for this parish is available as follows:
The parish church is located in OS Grid Square SW8244 and was dedicated to St John the Evangelist. The foundation stone was laid on 5th April 1827, and opened in 1828. It is situated in Lemon Street, and was built in the Italian style. Over the entrance is a Grecian bell turret which originally contained a single bell. The church can accommodate 1000 persons.
More photographs of St John's Church are available on-line.
Another church, dedicated to St Andrew, was openened in this parish in 1899; details about the plans of the modern church are available on-line.
Population figures for St John's parish are usually included in Truro City. However, in 1881, the population of the parish is separately recorded as 2185 persons, and in 1901 the population is recorded as 2236 persons.