Open a form to report problems or contribute information

1 Introduction 2 Message details 3 Upload file 4 Submitted
Page 1 of 4

Help and advice for Withiel

If you have found a problem on this page then please report it on the following form. We will then do our best to fix it. If you are wanting advice then the best place to ask is on the area's specific email lists. All the information that we have is in the web pages, so please do not ask us to supply something that is not there. We are not able to offer a research service.

If you wish to report a problem, or contribute information, then do use the following form to tell us about it. We have a number of people each maintaining different sections of the web site, so it is important to submit information via a link on the relevant page otherwise it is likely to go to the wrong person and may not be acted upon.


Primary tabs

Withiel, (Cornish: Gwydhyel), is situated in the Deanery and Hundred of Pydar. It is bounded on the north by St Breock, on the east by Bodmin, Lanivet and Roche, and on the south and west by Roche and St Wenn. The name Withiel has links with a 4th century Irish Saint, St Uvel. and is derived from a word meaning "a place of trees" or 'wooded district' although there is not much evidence of this today. The small parish of Withiel is in the centre of Cornwall north of St Austell. The hamlet of Withielgoose is about half a mile to the east of the village of Withiel. The principal village is the Churchtown.

Most parish and church description(s) on these pages are from Lake's Parochial History of the County of Cornwall by J Polsue (Truro, 1867 - 1873)



The Cornwall Family History Society have published Monumental Inscriptions for the Parish Church - 295 entries.



Census information for this parish (1841 - 1901) is held in the Cornwall Record Office. The Cornwall Family History Society offers a census search service for its members.

Specific census information for this parish is available as follows:

  • 1841. The 1841 Census of Withiel (HO107/150), Enumeration District 2, is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project.
  • 1851. The 1851 Census of Withiel (HO107/1904), Enumeration District 4, is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project.
  • 1861. The 1861 Census of Withiel (HO107/1537), Enumeration District 12c, is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project.
  • 1871. The 1871 Census of Withiel (RG10/2250), Enumeration District 12, is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project.
  • 1881. The 1881 Census of Withiel (RG11/2292), Enumeration District 12, is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project.
  • 1891. The 1891 Census of Withiel (RG12/1816), Enumeration District 12, is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project.


You can also perform a more selective search for churches in the Withiel area or see them printed on a map.


Church History

  • Anglican. The parish church is located in OS Grid Square SW9965 and was dedicated to St Clement in 1478. It comprises a chancel, nave, and north and south aisles. The south arcade has six four-centred arches, and the north arcade three obtuse, four-centred arches, all, including the pillars, of fine ganite. The east window of the south aisle displays the arms of Prior Vivian of Bodmin Priory who is said to have built this aisle. The tower is of a superior structure of granite ashlar. It has three stages, has buttresses on the square of the angles, and is finished with battlements and pinnacles.
  • Non-Conformist. There was a Wesleyan Methodist chapel at Retire and a Bible Christian chapel at Tregawne.

Church Records

The Note on the first page of the Phillimore's Marriage Index for Withiel (1586 to 1812) reads:

NOTE: The Marriages hereunder given have been extracted by Mrs. Glencross from two volumes, viz--the old Withiel Register which includes Baptisms and Burials from 1567 to 1786, and Marriages from 1568 to 1770, and from Hardwicke's Register which was commenced in 1754. Marriages between 1754 and 1770 are found entered in both Registers. The books are in good preservation, but in the first volume there is some bad writing and in places the record is almost illegible. The Rev. W. S. Cruddas, M.A.., Rector of Withiel, has kindly allowed the Marriages to be printed. They are given here in chronological order, although, as in pointed out in the notes, such is not always the order preserved in the old Register.

  • LDS Church Records.
    • The LDS Church batch numbers for Withiel are: C002362, P001361. These are searchable by surname.
    • The IGI coverage for this parish is 1567 - 1875; it is NOT believed to be fully included in the LDS Church's International Genealogical Index (IGI).
  • The Cornwall Record Office holdings: Baptisms 1567 - 1879, Burials 1568 - 1918, Marriages 1568 - 1979, Boyd's Marriage Index 1568 - 1812, Pallot's Marriage Index 1800 - 1812.
  • The Cornwall Family History Society have published on-line transcripts of:
    • Pre 1813 Marriages
    • 1813-37 Marriages
    • 1813-37 Burials
  • Baptisms.
    • The Cornish Forefathers' Society have published on CD baptisms 1695 to 1843 for this parish which can be purchased on Parish Chest.
  • Marriages.
    • Phillimore marriages 1568 to 1811 for this parish are available on-line through the OPC search Facility - (C-PROP).
    • The Cornwall Family History Society have published transcripts of: Marriages in the Parish 1568 to 1837, which is available in CD or downloadable .pdf file formats.
  • Burials. The Cornwall Family History Society have published transcripts of: Burials in the Parish 1813 to 1837, which is available in Book format.

Civil Registration

The parish of Withiel is in the Bodmin Registration District, and has been since 1st July 1837; there were sub-districts are Bodmin, Egloshayle, Lanlivery and St Mabyn but these have now been abolished. Parishes within the district were: Blisland, Bodmin, Bodmin Borough, Cardinham, Egloshayle, Endellion, Helland, Lanhydrock, Lanviet, Lanlivery, Lostwithiel, Luxulion, St. Kew, St. Mabyn, St. Minver Highlands, St. Minver Lowlands, St. Tudy, St. Winnow, Temple, Wadebridge, Warleggon, Withiel.

The Superintendant Registrar can be contacted at: Lyndhurst, 66 Nicholas Street, Bodmin, Cornwall, PL31 2AG. Tel: 01208 73677.


Description and Travel

You can see pictures of Withiel which are provided by:



Ask for a calculation of the distance from Withiel to another place.

Click here for a list of nearby places.



  • OPC Assistance. The On-line Parish Clerk (OPC) scheme operates a service to help family historians; the OPC page for this parish is available on-line, from where the OPC can be contacted by email.
  • There is a genealogical website for St Allen, Newlyn East, Perranzabuloe and Withiel parishes, which contains some census and Directory information of the parish.

Historical Geography

The Domesday Settlements of Cornwall, a study undertaken by the Cornwall Branch of the Historical Association, has identified and located settlements listed in the Exeter and Exchequer Domesday Survey of AD 1086. The following places have been identified in Withiel ecclesiastical parish:

  • Withiel (Widie), Grid Reference 994654.

You can see the administrative areas in which Withiel has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.



The Corn Survey of 1630 took the form of a "certificate by Inquirers of the number of persons which are in the houses of every householder", in each parish. The enumerators were required to list the quantity, in bushels, of corn and grain of every inhabitant within each parish. That survey is available, courtesy of the OPC.


Poor Houses, Poor Law etc.

Withiel parish was part of the Bodmin Union for Poor Law administration and parish relief.



A list of the inhabitants of Withiel in the 16th Century is available on-line, courtesy of the OPC.

  • Population in 1801 - 283 persons
  • Population in 1811 - 299 persons
  • Population in 1821 - 339 persons
  • Population in 1831 - 406 persons
  • Population in 1841 - 468 persons
  • Population in 1851 - 452 persons
  • Population in 1861 - 367 persons
  • Population in 1871 - 425 persons
  • Population in 1881 - 408 persons
  • Population in 1891 - 338 persons
  • Population in 1901 - 349 persons
  • Population in 1911 - 355 persons
  • Population in 1921 - 329 persons
  • Population in 1931 - 339 persons
  • Population in 1951 - 273 persons
  • Population in 1961 - 291 persons
  • Population in 1971 - 270 persons
  • Population in 1981 - 300 persons
  • Population in 1991 - 339 persons
  • Population in 2001 - 351 persons
  • Population in 2011 - 329 persons

Religion and Religious Life

In the May of 1641 it was agreed and ordered that every Member of the House of Commons and House of Lords should make a protestation (declaration of loyalty) to the crown. The Protestation was printed and then distributed by the Members to their counties. The Protestation was to be made by everyone and the Rectors, Churchwardens and Overseers of the Poor, had to appear before the Justices of the Peace in their Hundred to make their protestation and, on returning to their parishes, any two of them were to witness the taking of the Protestation Oath by all males over the age of 18 years. All names were listed and anyone who refused was to be noted. The OPC has made available the Protestation Returns of 1641 for Withiel on-line.



The parish comprises 3085 acres of land and 6 acres of water.