[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer
"ARMATHWAITE, a chapelry in the parish of Hesket-in-the-Forest, Leath ward, in the county of Cumberland, 10 miles to the N. of Penrith. The river Eden flows by the village on the E., and is crossed by a stone bridge of four arches. In the neighbourhood are Baron Wood and Cooms Fell. The modern mansion, Armathwaite castle, stands on the site of an ancient fort, on a lofty rock by the river, and was for some time the seat of the Skeltons, one of whom was John Skelton, the satirical poet. On an eminence near Tarn Wadling, a lake covering an area of one hundred acres, are the remains of Castle Hewin. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of Carlisle, value £50, in the patronage of the trustees of R. S. Milbourne, Esq., formerly of Armathwaite Castle."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]