[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer
"ASPATRIA, a parish and market town in Allerdale ward, below Derwent, in the county of Cumberland, 8 miles to the S.W. of Wigton, and 9 miles to the N. of Cockermouth. Carlisle is its post town. It is situated on the river Ellen, in a hilly country not far from the sea-coast. Here is a station of the Mary port and Carlisle railway, which intersects the village. Included in the parish are the several townships of Aspatria with Brayton, Hayton with Melay, and Outerside with Allerby, and the small hamlet of Prospect. Its name, which is remarkable, is supposed to be a corruption of Gospatrick, the family name of the Earl of Dunbar, to whom the manor formerly belonged. There are coalmines and sandstone quarries in the neighbourhood, and a small brewery and saw-mills in the village, which is nearly a mile in length, though irregularly built. It contains several good houses and shops, and is situated on the main road between Maryport and Carlisle. The living is a vicarage* in the diocese of Carlisle, value £249, in the patronage of the bishop. The church, dedicated to St. Kentigern, was rebuilt in 1848. It is a handsome stone edifice, in the early English style, with a fine Norman doorway on the south side, which formed part of the ancient building. The chancel is richly decorated. It contains an ancient Norman font, which has been carefully preserved, and in the Hayton Chapel are monuments of the Musgraves. Tombs of the Lawsons of Brayton Hall are in the church and churchyard; and in the latter is a pillar stone to one of the Oughtersides. There is a commodious chapel, belonging to the Independents, built in 1827; and National and village schools. The charities amount to about £23 10s. per annum. Near the village, at Beacon Hill, is a barrow, on opening which, in 1790, a chest, or kistvaen, formed of large stones was found. It contained a human skeleton measuring 7 feet from the head to the ankle bone, a sword and dagger, with silver ornaments, and several other relics. Some of the stones were rudely sculptured, chiefly with crosses inclosed in circles. The market is held on Thursday. Brayton Hall is the seat of Sir Wilfrid Lawson, Bart., who is lord of the manor." "ALLERBY, a township united with Oughterside, in the parish of Aspatria, ward of Allerdale-below-Derwent, in the county of Cumberland, 3 miles to the N.E. of Maryport. It lies near the Solway Frith and the Carlisle railway. It is in the ownership of the Dykes of Dovenby." "BRAYTON, a hamlet in the parish of Aspatria, ward of Allerdale-below-Derwent, in the county of Cumberland, 7 miles to the S.W. of Wigton. It is a station on the Maryport and Carlisle railway. The principal residence is Brayton Hall. The township is joined to Aspatria." "HAYTON, a township in the parish of Aspatria, ward of Allerdale-below-Derwent, county Cumberland, 5 miles N.E. of Maryport, and 7 N.W. of Cockermouth. It is situated on the Carlisle railway, and, together with Mealo or Melay, forms a township." "MEALO, a hamlet in the parish of Aspatria, ward of Allerdale-below-Derwent, county Cumberland, 2 miles S.E. of Allonby. It is joined to Huyton." "MELAY, a township in the parish of Aspatria, ward of Allerdale-below-Derwent, county Cumberland, 8 miles N.W. of Cockermouth. It is joined-with Hayton." "OUGHTERSIDE, a township in the parish of Aspatria, ward of Allerdale-below-Derwent, county Cumberland, 5 miles N.W. of Maryport. It is situated on the river Ellen. There are several collieries."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]