[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer
"BEAUMONT, a parish in the ward and county of Cumberland 4 miles to the N.W. of Carlisle. It is situated on the banks of the river Eden. The Carlisle canal, admitting vessels of sixty tons burden, passes through the parish. The great Roman wall, too, crossed it. Bricks and tiles are made here. The living is a rectory* united with that of Kirk-Andrew's-upon-Eden, in the diocese of Carlisle. The church, dedicated to St. Mary, is a small plain structure, and serves as the parish church both for this and the adjoining parish of Kirk-Andrew's. The rectory is a commodious residence, recently built, and situate in Kirk-Andrew's. The tithes for the united parishes were commuted in 1827 for £191 5s. 9d. A small charity school at Kirk-Andrew's is open to children of this parish. The manor formerly belonged to the Bruns, lords of Bowness, but it is now part of the barony of Burgh."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]