[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer
"BECKERMET ST. JOHN'S, a parish, township, and large village, in the ward of Allerdale-above-Derwent, in the county of Cumberland, next Beckermet St. Bridget's, and 1½ mile from the station at Braystone, on the Whitehaven and Furness Junction line of railway. It is situated at the junction of the Blackbeck and Kirkbeck rivulets from which circumstance its name is probably derived. Bacon curing is carried on here to a large extent. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of Carlisle, value £87, in the patronage of William Gaitskell, Esq., of Yeorton. The church, dedicated to St. John, was rebuilt in 1810. There is nothing in it worthy of note except the porch, which is part of the ancient structure. From "Wotobank", a hill and residence in this parish, Mrs. Cowley took the theme of her poem "Edwina", published in 1794. The village, which is a meet for the Whitehaven harriers, presents a remarkably clean and neat appearance, with its whitewashed houses and substantial modern-built stone residences."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]