Description from T. Bulmer & Co's History, Topography and Directory of East Cumberland, 1884
History, Topography and Directory of East Cumberland, comprising Its Ancient and Modern History; A General View of its Physical Features; Agricultural Condition, Mines and Minerals; Statistics, &c., &c.
by T.F. Bulmer, T. Bulmer & Co., Manchester, 1884. Transcription by Don Noble © 1998
"Brampton is located about nine miles east of Carlisle on the road to Newcastle, the A69, and lies between the rivers Irthing and Gelt. It is bordered on the north by Lanercost and Walton parishes, on the west by Irthington, on the south by Hayton, and on the east by Nether Denton and Farlam. The parish comprises the townships of Brampton, Easby and Naworth. The town of Brampton consists principally of two streets and the market square. In 1252, during the reign of Henry III, Brampton was granted a charter to hold fairs and markets and is thus one of the oldest market towns in England."
View large image (104k)
Brampton Market, summer of 1871
Photo courtesy of Iain Parsons
"The old parish church of Brampton was situated on an eminence overlooking the vale of the Irthing, about a mile and a half from the town. What caprice led to the selection of such an inconvenient site it is impossible to say. It was in existance as early as 1169 AD about which time it was given by Robert de Vallibus to the Abbey of Lanercost. The parish register shows that marriages were celebrated here in 1774 and it appears that services were chiefly held here at that time. In 1788 it was decided to abandon this site completely and major portions were taken down to supply materials for a new church which was considerably expanded in 1828, including a new organ and an excellent peal of bells. This church was, in turn, torn down and replaced by the present St. Martin's in 1878. The old church continued to be used as a graveyard and includes an old monumental slab with the following inscription: "Hic jacet Dominus Ricardus de Caldecoates, qui fuit vicarius Ecclesiae, Obiit A.D. 1343" (Here lies Sir Richard Caldcote, who was vicar of this church. He died A.D. 1343). Presbyterians in Brampton date from the Rev. J. Burnand in 1662 and the first chapel was erected in 1730 and continued to serve until replaced in 1854. The Independent Chapel, in Back Street, was erected in 1818. The Wesleyan Chapel, in Brampton Lane, is a substantial building, erected in 1836, and later enlarged by the addition of a second story. The manse was completed in 1877. The original chapel of the Primitive Methodists, built in 1823, was superceded by a larger and more elegant structure in 1878."
Extract from History, Topography and Directory of East Cumberland, T. Bulmer & Co., Manchester, 1884.
[Transcribed by Don Noble on 3 Jan 1998. ]