[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer
"CORNEY, a parish in the ward of Allerdale-above-Derwent, in the county of Cumberland, 4½ miles S. of Ravenglass, and 2 from the Bootle and Eskmeals stations of the Whitehaven and Furness Junction railway. It is situated to the W. of a lofty ridge of hills extending to the mountain of Blackcombe. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Carlisle, value £140, in the patronage of the Earl of Lonsdale. The church, dedicated to St. John, is an ancient stone edifice in various styles of architecture. The register commences in 1667. There is a post-office at Waberthwaite and a school, attended by the children of this parish. Lord Muncaster and Thomas Harrison, Esq., are lords of the manor. Several of the inhabitants of this parish have attained the remarkable age of 100 and upwards."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]