[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer
"CROSSCANONBY, (or Cannonby-Cross), a parish in the ward of Allerdale-below-Derwent, in the county of Cumberland, 2 miles to the N.E. of Maryport, its post town. It is situated on the coast of the Solway Frith, on the N. bank of the river Ellen, and includes the townships of Birkby, Canonby-Cross, and Crosby, with the flourishing seaport town of Maryport. Coal is found, and freestone is quarried here. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of Carlisle, of the value of £150, in the gift of the Dean and Chapter of Carlisle. The church is dedicated to St. John. It is partly in the Norman style, and contains several monuments of the Senhouse family, one of whom, Richard Senhouse, was Bishop of Carlisle in the 17th century. The town of Maryport, locally situated in this parish, was a mere fishing village till a century ago; it is now a thriving seaport, with a large export trade in coal, and has several shipyards, coarse linen and cotton factories, &c., employing a population of 6,000. For ecclesiastical purposes Maryport forms a distinct parish, with its own church and schools. The living is a perpetual curacy,* value £166, in the patronage of J. P. Senhouse, Esq." "BIRKBY, a township in the parish of Crosscanonby, ward of Allerdale-below-Derwent, in the county of Cumberland, 1 mile from Maryport. The Carlisle and Maryport railway passes through it." "CROSSBY, a township in the parish of Crosscanonby, Allerdale ward, in the county of Cumberland, 2½ miles N.E. of Maryport."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]