Description from T. Bulmer & Co's History, Topography and Directory of East Cumberland, 1884
History, Topography and Directory of East Cumberland, comprising Its Ancient and Modern History; A General View of its Physical Features; Agricultural Condition, Mines and Minerals; Statistics, &c., &c.
by T.F. Bulmer, T. Bulmer & Co., Manchester, 1884. Transcription by Don Noble © 1997
Is bounded by Croglin, Cumwhitton, Carlatton, and Castle Carrock. It comprises the townships of Cumrew Inside and Cumrew Outside, which together contain 2,686 acres. The gross rental is £1,673, and the rateable value £1,507. Agriculture is the only employment. The soil is dry and gravelly, producing barley, oats, some wheat, and excellent potatoes. A hill, named Cardunneth (1,300 feet), one of the Pennine range, is within the limits of the parish. From its summit may be seen the distant waters of the Solway; and in the summer time it is a favourite resort of picnic parties. There are three manors in the parish, viz., Cumrew, Brackenthwaite, and Newbiggin, all of which belong to the Earl of Carlisle, two by purchase and one by inheritance. The fines and rents were remitted to the tenants for a mere nominal consideration in the reign of Charles II. The principal landowners are Robert, William, and John Leach, Esqrs., Mrs. Gill and John Scott, Esq. The village of Cumrew is distant about seven miles south of Brampton, and twelve E.S.E. of Carlisle. Abbeyfield and Brackenthwaite are two small hamlets in this parish ; the former one, and the latter one and a half miles N. of Cumrew.Extract from History, Topography and Directory of East Cumberland, T. Bulmer & Co., Manchester, 1884.
In a field near the church may be seen the outline of an extensive quadrangle; and, when Hutchinson wrote, there where, what he conceived, indications of a large edifice having occupied the spot. These have been conjectured to be the remains of Dunwalloght castle, but there is not the least evidence in support of this assumption; and when two small mounds where removed in 1832, not a single trace of masonry or foundation was found. The Dacres formerly possessed two small estates here, which were sold to Sir Christopher Musgrave; and Dugdale, in his Baronage, tells us that they had a castle called Dunwalloght, situated near the borders; but beyond this allusion nothing is known, either of its history or its site. On the summit of Cardunnock, whose British name has descended to us with considerable purity, may be seen some of the circular pit dwellings of the ancient Keltic inhabitants. Close by is a cairn of stones - an accumulation which must have cost the expenditure of a vast amount of labour - in which some British chief was laid to rest, with his war axe and flint headed spear beside him. Great indeed must have been the importance of the mighty dead, for whom these sepulchres on the mountains' brow were reared ; and as when living they were held in honour, so they were set forth on their long journey to the unseen land of Annwyn - the Celtic Paradise of the west - it may be with a nation's tribute of reverence and love."
[Transcribed by Don Noble in 1997. ]