[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer
"CUMREW, a parish in the ward of Eskdale, in the county of Cumberland, 6½ miles from Brampton, and 11 from Carlisle, its post town. It is situated on the river Gelt, and contains the townships of Cumrew Inside and Outside. The village is small, and wholly agricultural. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of Carlisle, value £81, in the patronage of the Dean and Chapter of Carlisle. The church, dedicated to St. Mary, is a neat structure. At Newbiggin, in the parish of Clogin, is a day school belonging to this place. Ancient urns and pottery have been found under Cumrew Fells, and in Cardunneth Cairn. In the vicinity are the ruins of Dunwalloght Castle, a seat of the Dacres. Brackenwaite and Alby Field are places here."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]