[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer
"CUMWHITTON, a parish in the ward of Eskdale, in the county of Cumberland, 5 miles S.W. of Brampton, and 8 from Carlisle. It includes the township of Cumwhitton, High and Low Northsceugh, Moorthwaite, and the hamlets of Hornsby Gate and Hornsby. The village is pleasantly situated near the river Eden, in the midst of fine scenery. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of Carlisle, value £102, in the patronage of the Dean and Chapter of Carlisle. The church, dedicated to St. Mary, is an old atone building There are two day schools, one of which is endowed, and a Sunday-school. Near here are remains of a Druidical temple, called the "Gray Yauds"." "MOORTHWAITE, a township in the parish of Cumwhitton, Eskdale ward, county Cumberland, 7 miles S.W. of Brampton, and 10 S.E. of Carlisle. It includes the hamlets of Moorthwaite, Hornsby, Hornsby Gate, and High and Low Northsceugh." "NORTHSCEUGH, a township in the parish of Cumwhitton, ward of Eskdale, county Cumberland, 3½ miles from Cumwhitton, 8 S. of Brampton, and 6 N. by W. of Kirk-Oswald. It is joined with Moorthwaite to form a township."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]