[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer
"DISTINGTON, (or Dissington), a parish in the ward of Allerdale-above-Derwent, in the county of Cumberland, 4 miles N.E. of Whitehaven, and 4 S. of Workington. It is situated near the coast, and contains coal-pits and quarries of limestone. The inhabitants are chiefly engaged in the manufacture of linen, thread, hats, and edge tools. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Carlisle, value £301, in the patronage of the Earl of Lonsdale. The church is an old structure. The charities amount to £3 per annum. There are chapels for Primitive Methodists and Wesleyans, also a parish school. The ruins of Hayes Castle, formerly the residence of the Moresby family, are near the village."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]