DRIGG, Cumberland - Extract from National Gazetteer, 1868

[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer (1868)]
"DRIGG, a parish in the ward of Allerdale-above-Derwent, in the county of Cumberland, 3 miles N.W. of Ravenglass, its post town, and 17 S.E. of Whitehaven. It is situated on the river Irt, and contains the township of Carleton, with the hamlet of Carleton Hall. The Whitehaven and Furness Junction railway has a station about half a mile from Drigg. Here is a chalybeate spring, and an hotel near the railway station. This parish derives its name from the Celtic word Derigh, or Dergh, signifying an "oak", which trees in former times grew here in large quantities. The soil is sandy, and produces large quantities of potatoes. The village is small; in the vicinity are several modern residences. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of Carlisle, value £88, in the patronage of S. Ireton, Esq. The church is a modern stone structure, erected on the site of the old one. It is dedicated to St. Peter, and has a handsome stained-glass window at the E. end, representing an angel with a scroll, having the words "Gloria in Excelsis Deo". There is also a memorial window in the chancel to William Porter, R.N. It contains a handsomely carved stone font. The parochial charities amount to about £16 per annum. There is a school for boys and girls, with an endowment of £40 per annum; also a Sunday school." "CARLETON, a township in the parish of Drigg, ward of Allerdale-above-Derwent, in the county of Cumberland, 2 miles to the N. of Ravenglass. It is near the Whitehaven and Furness Junction railway, on which Drigg is a station."

[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]