EDENHALL, Cumberland - Extract from National Gazetteer, 1868

[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer (1868)]
"EDENHALL, a parish in Leath ward, county Cumberland, 3 miles N.E. of Penrith, its post town and railway station on the Lancaster and Carlisle railway. It is situated on the rivers Eamont and Eden, whence it takes its name, and is within the limits of Inglewood Forest. The Newcastle and Penrith road passes through the village, which is small, and wholly agricultural. It is the property of the Musgrave family, who have held the manor since the reign of Henry VI., having inherited it from the Stapletons. About one-third of the land is arable, the remainder meadow and woodland. The soil is light and fertile. Freestone is quarried for building purposes. The living is a vicarage* in the diocese of Carlisle, value with the perpetual curacy of Langwathby annexed, £178, in the patronage of the dean and chapter. The church, a handsome stone structure, with tower and stained-glass windows, was repaired in 1834, at an expense of £2,500, by Sir G. Musgrave, Bart. It is dedicated to St. Cuthbert, and has monuments of the Musgrave family, and a brass. The parochial charities produce about £45, per annum, £5 of which go to the school. In the neighbourhood, by the river Eamont, is a cavern called the Giant's Cave. Sir George Musgrave, Bart., of Eden Hall, is lord of the manor. Within the park is a rookery of 100 acres, and a heronry of large extent."

[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]