[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer
"FARLAM, a parish in the ward of Eskdale, county Cumberland, 3 miles S.E. of Brampton, its post town, and 12 E. of Carlisle. The Milton railway station on the Newcastle and Carlisle railway is 1 mile N.W. of the village. The parish includes the townships of East and West Farlam, with the hamlets of Hallbank Gate, Kirkhouse, and Milton. Limestone and coal are obtained here, and there are zinc-works. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of Carlisle, value £98. The church is a stone structure, dedicated to St. Thomas-a-Becket. The Wesleyans have a chapel, and there are several schools. The Earl of Carlisle is lord of the manor."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]