Redwing Chapel, Garrigill, Independent
It was founded in 1756. It closed in 1977.
Dated 1756 on door lintel. Redundant about 1977. See British Listed Buildings. See the introduction in the registers under records at the parish church regarding early Congregational meetings.
The Independent churches were ones in which each congregation was autonomous, upholding the principles of independence. In the 19th century they became known as Congregational.
In 1972 the Congregational church joined with the English Presbyterian church to become the United Reformed Church. Some Congregational churches though did not take this path and became members of the Congregational Federation.
Cumbria Archive Service DFCCL 5. To see the list of items, click the link in the Ref box. To find more detail for an item click the item. See also DFCP 7/27 Burials by Rev T Nelson at Redwing 1763-1801. Further research in Nelson's papers is likely to be useful.
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)