[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer
"HENSINGHAM, a chapelry in the parish of St. Bees, ward of Allerdale-above-Derwent, county Cumberland, 1 mile S.E. of Whitehaven, its post town. The village, which is situated on rising ground, commands a view of the town and harbour of Whitehaven. A portion of the inhabitants are employed in the linen and thread manufactory. Limestone is largely quarried and burnt into lime at Overend. The tithes were commuted for land under an Enclosure Act in 1767. The living is a perpetual curacy* in the diocese of Carlisle, value £126. The church, dedicated to St. John, is a modern structure with a tower containing a clock and one bell. The parochial charities produce about £2 per annum. Archbishop Grindall was a native of this place. There is a National school for both sexes, and the Primitive Methodists have a place of worship. The Earl of Lonsdale is lord of the manor."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]