HIGHHEAD, Cumberland - Extract from National Gazetteer, 1868

[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer (1868)]
"HIGHHEAD, (or Ivegill), a chapelry in the parish of Dalston, ward and county of Cumberland, 4 miles S.W. of Dalston, and 8 S. of Carlisle, its post town. It is situated on the Ive Beck water in Inglewood Forest. On the brow of a rocky eminence are the ruins of Highhead Castle, formerly held by the Harclas, Dacres, and L'Englises, but now the property of Lord Brougham. The principal remains are the Gateway tower and turret, which are now occupied as a farmhouse. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of Carlisle, value £80, in the patronage of the Vicar of Dalston. The church is a mean building erected by William Englise. Here is a small school. The principal residence is the manor house, called Highhead or Hive-Head."

[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]