"This parish, called in old documents Kirk-Levington, extends about eleven miles along the south side of the river Lyne, having an average breadth of two miles. It is bounded on the north by the river just named; on the south by Stanwix, Scaleby, and Walton; on the east by Stapleton; and on the west by Rockcliffe. Freestone is abundant, and is quarried in several places, but the great majority of the inhabitants are employed in the cultivation of the land. The parish is divided into three townships - Hethersgill, Middle Quarter and West Linton." [Description from T. Bulmer & Co's History, Topography and Directory of East Cumberland, 1884]
- History, Topography and Directory of East Cumberland, T.F. Bulmer, T.Bulmer & Co., Manchester, 1884.
- The Transactions of the Cumberland & Westmorland Antiquarian & Archaeological Society:
- Graham, T.H.B., Arthuret, Kirklinton, and Kirkoswald. 1925. N.S., Vol. 28.
- "The church at Kirklinton, dedicated to St. Cuthbert, was erected in 1845 and displaced an old Norman edifice, supposed from its very early Norman architecture, to have been built in the reign of Henry I. The present edifice is a handsome Gothic structure of red freestone, consisting of a nave, chancel, porch, and embattled tower. Whilst excavating for the foundation of the tower, sixty human skeletons were found buried within a short space of each other. But neither incriptions nor monument of any kind was found to identify these mouldering remains of humanity, or to indicate the period of their interment. The chapel of St. Mary at Hethersgill was erected in 1876, in the Gothic style and from red freestone from the local quarries. To supply the spiritual wants of Westlinton, a church was erected there in 1869 with a district embracing the township. A part of Rockcliffe was added to it in 1873, forming a consolidated chapelry with distinct parochial privileges. The church, dedicated to St. John, is a neat Gothic edifice, built of red sandstone of the locality, the cost raised by subscription." (Extract from Bulmer's 1884 History & Directory, cited above)
- The following church records are available at the Carlisle office of the Cumbria Archive Service: Church of England (CRO Reference PR 156):
St. Cuthbert's and St. Mary's
Baptisms Marriage Banns Burial Bishops Trans 1651-1841 1651-1977 1806-1960 1651-1941 1663-1878
Baptisms Marriage Banns 1870-1947 1872-1978 1872-1971
- A Description of Kirlinton transcribed from T. Bulmer & Co's History, Topography and Directory of East Cumberland, 1884 by Don Noble.
- The transcription of the section for Kirklinton from the National Gazetteer (1868) provided by Colin Hinson.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Kirklinton to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Kirklinton has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference NY433671 (Lat/Lon: 54.995235, -2.887787), Kirklinton which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- Kirklinton fell under the authority of the ancient diocese of Carlisle and wills prior to 1858 were proved in the consistory court there. Records from 1548 to 1858 include original wills, letters of administration and inventories, although there are significant gaps in the years before 1661. These are deposited with the CRO at Carlisle. Comprehensive indexes exist, at the Carlisle CRO, in card files easily accessible in the reading room. The indexes cover from 1617 to 1941, listing the year of probate and the residence of the deceased. This is extraordinarily helpful in distinguishing between many individuals of the same name. Microfilm of many of these records, and a partial typescript of the indexes, is available at the Kendal office of the CRO.
- The Province of York covered most of northern England, including this parish, and anyone who died leaving property in more than one diocese within the province would have their will proved in the Prerogative Court of the Archbishop of York (PCY) or sometimes in the Chancery Court of the Archbishop of York. These records are now deposited with York University, Borthwick Institute of Historical Research.
- For probate from 1858 on, and general information, see our England - Probate page. However please note registered copy probate records for Cumberland are also available 1858-1941 at the Record Office in Carlisle.