[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer
"KIRKLINTON, (or Kirk-Levington), a parish in the ward of Eskdale, county Cumberland, 4 miles S.E. of Longtown, and 9 N.E. of Carlisle. The parish, which is extensive, is situated on the river Line, and contains the township of West Linton, with the hamlets of Hethersgill and Middle Quarter. The inhabitants are chiefly employed in agriculture. The principal residence is Kirklington Hall, the seat of the Dacre family, built out of the materials of the old seat, Clough Hall, and commanding a view of the Solway Frith. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Carlisle, value £94. The church, which is situated in the Middle Quarter, is dedicated to St. Cuthbert. It is a red freestone edifice, with Norman traces. The parochial charities produce about- £1 per annum. The Society of Friends has a meeting-house and a place of interment at Meggs in the Middle Quarter. The Wesleyans have a place of worship at Ullermire. The endowed school is situated at Shaw Foot. The Earl of Carlisle is lord of the manor." "HETHERSGILL, a township in the parish of Kirklinton, ward of Eskdale, county Cumberland, 6 miles E. of Longton, on a branch of the river Line." "MIDDLE QUARTER, a township in the parish of Kirklinton, or Kirk-Levington, ward of Eskdale, county Cumberland, 4 miles S.E. of Longtown. It is situated near the river Line." "WEST LINTON, (or Levington), a township in the parish of Kirklinton, ward of Eskdale, county Cumberland, 3 miles S. of Longtown."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]