LAZONBY, Cumberland - Extract from National Gazetteer, 1868

[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer (1868)]
"LAZONBY, a parish in Leath ward, county Cumberland, 7 miles N.E. of Penrith, its post town, and 1 mile from Kirkoswald. The village is situated on a hill by the W. bank of the river Eden. The parish, which is of large extent, contains the township of Lazonby and the chapelry of Plumpton Wall, on the Peterill. The great Roman road passes from N. to S., and another intersects the parish in a direction towards Salkeld Gate. Urns have been found on the Fells, containing bones and ashes. There are traces of a moated castle at Castle Rigg farm. In the township of Plumpton Wall are the ruins of a Roman station, supposed to be Bremetenracum, or Old Penrith. Near the centre of the parish there is a great portion of moorland, irregularly studded with patches of fir-trees. Freestone is abundant, and is extensively worked. To the N. of the parish is an oak forest called Barren-Wood, where is a very lofty rock in which is an artificial cave called Sampson's Cave, or the Giant's Chamber. The living is a vicarage* in the diocese of Carlisle, value £551, in the patronage of the bishop. The church, dedicated to St. Nicholas, has a turret containing two bells. There is also a district church at Plumpton Wall, the living of which is a perpetual curacy, value £49. There are two schools, endowed with the interest of £200, bequeathed by the late Thomas Hall, Esq., of Brakenbank. The Wesleyans have a place of worship. Lazonby Hall is a modern mansion situated on rising ground, about a mile distant from the village. Sir George Musgrave, Bart., is lord of the manor."

[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]