[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer
"NETHER DENTON, a parish in the ward of Eskdale, in the county of Cumberland, 5 miles N.E. of Brampton. It is situated on the river Irthing, near the Carlisle railway. Freestone and limestone are abundant, and there is a considerable quantity of shell-marl. The soil is light and sandy. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Carlisle, value £196, in the patronage of the bishop. The tithes of the townships of Nether and Upper Denton were commuted for land under an Enclosure Act in 1798. The old tower of Denton Hall, formerly a seat of the Dentons, is now converted into a farmhouse."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]