[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer
"PLUMPTON-WALL, a township and chapelry in the parish of Lazonby, ward of Leath, county Cumberland, 5 miles N.W. of Penrith, its post town. It is a station on the Lancaster and Carlisle railway. The village, which is of small extent, is situated on the river Petterill, near the Roman camp at Bremetenracum, or Voreda. At Old Penrith, on the Roman way from Ambleside to Carlisle, a Roman altar was found, and at Castle Steads an inscribed stone with a bust. The inhabitants are chiefly engaged in agriculture. The soil is of a gravelly description, with a subsoil of gravel and sand. The land is almost wholly arable. The chapelry includes the hamlet of Salkeld Gate, on the road to Carlisle. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of Carlisle, value £49. The church, dedicated to St. John the Evangelist, is situated in the hamlet of Salkeld-Gate. There is an endowed school for both sexes, the endowment consisting of the interest of £100, bequeathed by John Scott, of Penrith, who died in 1759. There are several lords of the manor, among whom are the Duke of Devonshire and the Earl of Lonsdale."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]