SEBERGHAM, Cumberland - Extract from National Gazetteer, 1868

[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer (1868)]
"SEBERGHAM, a parish in the ward and county of Cumberland, 10 miles S. of Carlisle, its post town, 7 S.E. of Wigton, and 6 from the Dalston station on the Carlisle and Maryport line of railway. The village, which is chiefly agricultural, is situated at the bridge over the river Caldew, which is also crossed about a mile lower down by another bridge of one arch built in 1772. The southern branch of the stream becomes subterraneous at Haltcliffe Bridge, and re-issues at Hives Hill mill, about 3 miles distant. The parish comprises the townships of High and Low Sebergham, and was granted by King John to W. Wastell, a hermit, who gave it to Carlisle priory. The soil is of various quality, but in some parts productive. Limestone and coal are extensively quarried. There is a powerful mineral spring. The tithes were commuted for corn rents under an Enclosure Act in 1771. The living is a perpetual curacy* in the diocese of Carlisle, value £160, in the patronage of the dean and chapter. The church, dedicated to St. Mary the Virgin, is an ancient structure, with a modern tower containing one bell. The church was rebuilt on the site of the hermitage, and thoroughly repaired in 1785. Relph, a poet, was born herein 1712, and died in 1744. There is a parochial school at Church Town, and another at Stony Cross, near Wetton; at the last-mentioned place the Wesleyans have a chapel. The Duke of Devonshire is lord of the manor."

[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]