[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer
"WABERTHWAITE, a parish in the ward of Allerdale-above-Derwent, county Cumberland, 2 miles E. from Ravenglass, its post town, and 2 from Eskmeals station on the Whitehaven and Furness Junction line of railway. The village is situated on the river Esk. The land on the eastern side is rocky, and slopes down to the river Esk, which divides this parish from that of Muncaster. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Carlisle, value £131. The church is dedicated to St. John the Evangelist. The parochial charities produce about £5 per annum. There is a parochial school for both sexes, at which a Sunday-school is also held. Lord Muncaster is lord of the manor."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]