"This parish lies on the north side of the river Irthing, between the rivulets Kingwater and Cumbeck, and is bounded on the north by Kirklinton and Stapleton, on the east by Lanercost, on the south by Brampton, and on the west by Irthington. It is divided into two townships, High Walton and Low Walton, whose united area is 4150 acres." [Description from T. Bulmer & Co's History, Topography and Directory of East Cumberland, 1884]
- History, Topography and Directory of East Cumberland, T.F. Bulmer, T.Bulmer & Co., Manchester, 1884.
- "The church, dedicated to St. Mary, is a handsome Gothic building, erected in 1869, at a cost of about £2,000. It occupies the site of one built in 1811. ... The church consists of chancel, nave, north aisle, tower surmounted by spire, and porch. The chancel is the property of the lord of the manor, and beneath its floor is the last resting place of that family." (Extract from Bulmer's 1884 History & Directory, cited above)
- The following church records are available at the Carlisle office of the Cumbria Archive Service: Church of England (CRO Reference PR97):
Baptisms Marriage Banns Burial Bishops Trans 1684-1875 1687-1979 1755-1945 1689-1911 1666-1874
- A Description of Walton transcribed from T. Bulmer & Co's History, Topography and Directory of East Cumberland, 1884 by Don Noble.
- The transcription of the section for Walton from the National Gazetteer (1868) provided by Colin Hinson.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Walton to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Walton has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference NY522645 (Lat/Lon: 54.972809, -2.748254), Walton which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- Walton fell under the authority of the ancient diocese of Carlisle and wills prior to 1858 were proved in the consistory court there. Records from 1548 to 1858 include original wills, letters of administration and inventories, although there are significant gaps in the years before 1661. These are deposited with the CRO at Carlisle. Comprehensive indexes exist, at the Carlisle CRO, in card files easily accessible in the reading room. The indexes cover from 1617 to 1941, listing the year of probate and the residence of the deceased. This is extraordinarily helpful in distinguishing between many individuals of the same name. Microfilm of many of these records, and a partial typescript of the indexes, is available at the Kendal office of the CRO.
- The Province of York covered most of northern England, including this parish, and anyone who died leaving property in more than one diocese within the province would have their will proved in the Prerogative Court of the Archbishop of York (PCY) or sometimes in the Chancery Court of the Archbishop of York. These records are now deposited with York University, Borthwick Institute of Historical Research.
- For probate from 1858 on, and general information, see our England - Probate page. However please note registered copy probate records for Cumberland are also available 1858-1941 at the Record Office in Carlisle.