Alvaston - by Daniel and Samuel Lysons, 1817
[Included with Lyson's Magna Britannia Vol 5: Derbyshire, page 101: DERBY]
The parochial chapel of Alvaston, lies about three miles from Derby, on the road to Ashby-de-la-Zouch. It was esteemed a chapel belonging to the church of St. Michael in the twelfth century; but it appears by the Chantry Roll of 147, that it had then been long deemed a separate parish. The manor of Alvaston, then called Alewoldestune was held by Tochi at the time of the Domesday Survey, under Geoffry Alselin, or Azelin. It belonged afterwards to Ralph Fitz-Germund, founder of Dale Abbey, whose descendant, Matilda de Salicosa Mare, daughter of William Fitz-Ralph, Seneschal of Normandy, gave Alwoldestone to that monastery. The Grange of Alvaston, which had belonged to Daley Abbey, was granted, in 1547, to Henry Needham. William Sacheverell, Esq., died seised of it in 1557; it afterwards passed to a branch of the Alestrey family, who had a seat here. The manor and hall passed by marriage to the Borrows, and was sold in 1812, by John Borrow, Esq., to John Elliot, Esq. The Earl of Harrington purchased the manor of Mr. Elliot; and Mr. Joseph Wheeldon, the hall and some of the demesne lands.
The tithes of Alvaston formerly belonged to the Abbot and Convent of Darley, as parcel of the rectory of St. Michael. In the reign of Henry VII, after a long litigation concerning their respective rights between the Abbot of Darley, the vicar of St. Michael's and the inhabitants of Alvaston, it was agreed that the Abbot and Convent should have the tithes of hay and corn; that the inhabitants should present a chaplain; that they should pay him 3 pounds per annum, and that he should have the small tithes and oblations. St. Michael appears to have been then acknowledged as the mother-church, by their having agreed to attend divine service there one Sunday in every year. The impropriation belonged formerly to the corporation of Derby, under Queen Mary's grant; but had been alienated to the Alestreys, and passed, with the manor etc. to the Borrows. An allotment was given, in lieu of tithes, to John Borrow, Esq., at the time of the inclosure in 1802. The inhabitants still nominate the perpetual Curate.
[From Lysons Topographical and Historical Account of Derbyshire, 1817.
Transcription kindly donated by Barbarann AYARS, 19-24th January 2002]