Please see the Leicestershire page for Appleby for additional resources.
“APPLEBY, a parish in the hundred of Sparkenhoe, in the county of Leicester, partly also in the hundred of Repton, in the county of Derby, 6 miles to the S.W. of Ashby-de-la Zouch. Atherstone is the post town. It lies near the point at which the four counties of Derby, Leicester, Stafford, and Warwick meet, and not far from the Ashby-de-la-Zouch canal. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Peterborough, value £750, in the patronage of G. Moors, Esq.
The church, which is old, stands in Leicestershire, and is dedicated to St. Michael. It contains a monument to one of the Applebys. There is a free grammar school, established and endowed in 1669, by Sir John Moore, an alderman of London. It has an income of £326. The school-house was erected after a design by Sir Christopher Wren. Appleby Hall is the principal residence. The Atherstone hounds meet here.”
from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868
- The parish was in the Measham sub-district of the Ashby-de-la-Zouch Registration District.
- The table below gives census piece numbers, where known:
Piece No. 1841 H.O. 107 / 600 1851 H.O. 107 / 2084 1861 R.G. 9 / 2267 1871 R.G. 10 / 3243 1891 R.G. 12 / 2508
- The Anglican parish church is dedicated to Saint Michael and All Angels.
- The church stands in the Leicestershire portion of the parish.
- Tradition holds that the church was built on the site of a Roman temple.
- The church seats 600.
- Philip JEFFREY has a photograph of St Michael and All Angels' Church on Geo-graph, taken in January, 2014.
- The Anglican parish register dates from 1572.
- The church was in the rural deanery of Sparkenhoe (first portion).
- Civil Registration started in July, 1837.
- The parish was in the Measham subdistrict of the Ashby-de-la-Zouch Registration District.
"APPLEBY, a parish in the hundred of Sparkenhoe, in the county of Leicester, partly also in the hundred of Repton, in the county of Derby, 6 miles to the S.W. of Ashby-de-la Zouch. Atherstone is the post town. It lies near the point at which the four counties of Derby, Leicester, Stafford, and Warwick meet, and not far from the Ashby-de-la-Zouch canal. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Peterborough, value £750, in the patronage of G. Moors, Esq."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin HINSON ©2003]
Appleby is just east of the A42 which you took southwest out of Ashby-de-la-Zouch.
Also see the Leicestershire, Appleby page.
- Ann ANDREWS provides a transcription of the Appleby entry from Kelly's Directory of the Counties of Derby, Notts, Leicester and Rutland (1891).
- The transcription of the section for Appleby from the National Gazetteer (1868) provided by Colin HINSON.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Appleby to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Appleby has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
- The Amenity Woodlands, just north of the village, is a small part of the national reforestation project.
- John POYSER has a photograph of the entrance to Amenity woodland on Geo-graph, taken in April, 2007.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SK313090 (Lat/Lon: 52.677803, -1.538492), Appleby which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- This place was partly in the ancient Repton and Gresley Hundred (or Wapentake).
- Appleby Civil Parish was abolished in 1898 to create Appleby Magna Civil Parish within the boundaries of Leicestershire.
- Today the parish is administered as part of Leicestershire.
- Bastardy cases would be heard in the Ashby-de-la-Zouch petty session hearings.
- There is a partial list of about 20 Appleby Bastardy Papers held at the DRO on the Yesterdays Journey website. Select "Bastardy Papers" on the left side, then "Appleby " from the list displayed.
- The Common Land was enclosed here in 1771.
- As a result of the 1834 Poor Law Amendment Act, Appleby became part of the Ashby-de-la-Zouch Poorlaw Union.
- In 1839 the Misses MOOREs' Almshouses were built. These are now Grade II listed with British Heritage.
See the 1662 Hearth Tax Assessments page on Brett Payne's website for a list of heads-of-households who paid the tax.