Baslow - by Daniel and Samuel Lysons, 1817

Transcription by Barbarann Ayars © 2001
[Included with Lyson's Magna Britannia Vol 5: Derbyshire, page 23-41: BAKEWELL]
The village of Baslow lies about five miles from Bakewell. The manor was given by Henry de Curzon before the year 1330, to Richard Vernon, from whom it has descended to his Grace the Duke of Rutland. Some records describe a moiety of the manor of Baslow, as held under the Abbot of Derley in the reign of Henry VI. together with the manor of Bubnell, by John Earl of Shrewsbury. Bubnell is now considered as part of the manor of Baslow, belonging to the Duke of Rutland. Bubnell hall, formerly a seat of the Bassets of Blore, and afterwards, by marriage, of Copwood, is now a farm house.

The patronage of the parochial chapel of Baslow, which had belonged to the vicar of Bakewell, was, by an act of parliament, passed in 1811, vested in the Duke of Devonshire and his heirs.

There is a charity school at Baslow, with an endowment of about 18 pounds per annum, arising from sundry small benefactions. The manor of Calver, which belonged in the reign of Henry VI. to Thomas Lynford, was granted by King Henry VIII to Rowland Shakerley, and having passed to the Tracys, was conveyed to the Stratfords, and afterwards purchased, in the reign of Queen Elizabeth, by the Eyres of Hassop, in which family it still remains.

The townships of Curbar, Froggatt, and Rowland, lie within this chapelry; the two former are in the manor of Baslow; Rowland is a manor belonging to the Earl of Newburgh.

[From Lysons Topographical and Historical Account of Derbyshire, 1817.
Transcription kindly donated by Barbarann Ayars, 9th December 2001]