Chellaston - by Daniel and Samuel Lysons, 1817
Transcription by Barbarann AYARS © 2001
[Lyson's Magna Britannia Vol 5: Derbyshire, page 75]
CHELLASTON In the hundred of Repon and Gresley and in the deanery of Repington, lies about five miles south from Derby.
There seem to have been two manors in Chellaston (Celardestune, or Celerdestune) at the time of taking the Domesday survey; one of which was in the crown, the other held by Amalric, under Henry de Ferrars. The manor of Chellaston was granted, in the year 1200, to Wiliam FitzGeffrey; in 1307 to Robert de Holland, and his heirs. William Ashby, Esq., died seised of the manor of Chellaston, in 1499. It is now the property of the Marquis of Hastings, by inheritance from the Earls of Huntingdon.
In the parish church is an alabaster monument, for Ralph Bancroft, and Alice his wife, without date. There were formerly other monuments for this family, which were nearly illegible when Bassano's Church Notes were taken in 1710, and memorials for the family of Whinyats (1664-1702). There is still an alabaster tomb for --- Bawredon, minister of the church who died in 1523.
Chellaston was parcel of the rectory of Melbourne, which beonged to the Bishops of Carlisle, and had been a considerable time on lease to the family of Coke, when it was enfranchised, under an act of parliament passed in 1704. Lord Melbourne, representataive of the Coke family, has sold the tithes to the several land owners. The Bishop of Carlisle is patron of the perpetual curacy.
This parish has been inclosed, pursuant to an act of parliament (passed in 1802) by which allotments of land were given to the curate in lieu of tithes.
[From Lysons Topographical and Historical Account of Derbyshire, 1817.
Transcription kindly donated by Barbarann AYARS, 9th December 2001]