“CRICH, a parish in the hundreds of Morleston, Scarsdale, and Wirksworth, in the county of Derby 4 miles N. of Belper, and 2 N.W. of Ambergate station. It contains the township of Wessington, and the chapelry of Tansley. The village, which was once a market town, is pleasantly situated on rising ground, commanding extensive and varied prospects. It first rose into importance in 1793, when a cotton manufactory was established at Fritchley; this has subsequently been converted into a bobbin-mill. The silk and cotton manufactures, which were formerly carried on to a considerable extent, have been superseded by stocking weaving.
The adjacent quarries produce a superior kind of limestone, and many of the inhabitants are engaged in working the lead-mines at Crich Cliff and Wakebridge, which were formerly very productive, but are now worked at a loss. In one of the mines coins of Hadrian and Dioclesian have been found. The mines are mentioned in the Domesday Survey as belonging to Leofric, or Lowrie; and that at Wakebridge is still exempt from the king's duty on lead ore. The Cromford canal passes through a tunnel at the north-western and southern extremities of the parish.
The living is a vicarage* in the diocese of Lichfield, value £170, in the patronage of trustees. The church, dedicated to St. Michael the Archangel, is a handsome structure, and contains monuments to the Dixies of Bosworth. There are also the perpetual curacies of Tansley, value £160, and Wessington, value £100, both in the patronage of the vicar. The Baptists, Primitive and Wesleyan Methodists, have places of worship.”
from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868
- Crich is home to the National Tramway Museum within Crich Tramway Village.
- Also located at Crich Tramway Village is the Eagle Press, a small museum dedicated to Letterpress Printing.
- There is also the Crich Baptist Church Library on the Market Place, dedicated primarily to religious teachings.
- Crich is also served by the Mobile Library on route N, which makes four stops every fourth Tuesday in the morning.
- DAWES, Geoffrey - Crich Tales. Pipsqueak, 2004. No ISBN.
- DAWES, J G (Geoff) - A History of Crich. Landmark, 2003. ISBN 1-84306-082-5
- The parish was in the Ripley sub-district of the Belper Registration District.
- The 1841 census Index of Names is available at the Crich Parish site.
- The table below gives census piece numbers, where known:
Piece No. 1841 H.O. 107 / 188 and 194 1861 R.G. 9 / 2526 and 2542 1881 R.G. 11 / 3415 1891 R.G. 12 / 2746 thru 2747
- The Anglican parish church is dedicated to Saint Mary.
- The church was standing in 1135 AD.
- White's 1857 Directory tells us that the Anglican parish church is dedicated to Saint Michael, but the dedication was later changed to Saint Mary.
- The church is a Grade I listed building with British Heritage.
- The church seats 500.
- Neil PACKWOOD has a photograph of St. Mary's Church from a distance on Geo-graph, taken in June, 2010.
- The Anglican parish register dates from 1565. (Some sources say 1601.)
- A CD containing a transcription of The Parish Registers of St Mary's Church is available for purchase from Valerie NEAL.
- The church was in the rural deanery of Alfreton.
- The Wesleyan Methodists built a chapel here in 1765.
- The Wesleyan chapel of 1765 is a Grade II listed building with British Heritage.
- Alan MURRAY-RUST has a photograph of the Wesleyan Methodist Church on Geo-graph, taken in June, 2008. I note that he tells us that the chapel's date is 1768.
- The Primitive Methodists built a chapel here in 1853 on Sun Lane.
- The Primitive Methodist chapel of 1853 is a Grade II listed building with British Heritage.
- The Baptists built their first chapel here in 1839 on Rose Lane, then a larger chapel in 1877 on the market place. This chapel is still in use.
- The Baptist church of 1877 is a Grade II listed building with British Heritage.
- Alan MURRAY-RUST has a photograph of the Baptist Church in the Market Place on Geo-graph, taken in June, 2008.
- White's 1857 Directory tells us that there were also chapels here for the Wesleyan Reformers.
- White's 1857 Directory also tells us that the Independents had a chapel in Fritchley hamlet.
- Alan HEARDMAN has a photograph of the Congregational Church on Geo-graph, taken in March, 2009.
- Anthony DIXON has a photograph of the Fritchley Friends' (Quaker) Meeting House on Geo-graph, taken in September, 2011.
- Civil Registration began in July, 1837.
- The parish was in the Ripley sub-district of the Belper Registration District.
"CRICH is a parish, partly in the hundreds of Morleston and Litchurch, Scarsdale, and Wirksworth: the village is about five miles east of Wirksworth. and four west from Alfreton. The site of it is very lofty, and from the adjacent stand or prospect tower, which is a land-mark for a great distance around, a very extensive view is obtained. There are numerous stone quarries in the neighbourhood, and lime burning is largely carried on here."
[Description from Pigot and Co's Commercial Directory for Derbyshire, 1835]
The parish covered 5,772 acres in 1857 and included the hamlet/village of Fritchley to the south-east. The Briars is a hamlet directly south of Crich village, and Bullbridge is a hamlet/village 1.5 miles south of Fritchley. Whatstandwell and Crich Carr are to the west and Wakebridge to the north.
- Rosemary LOCKIE provides a transcription of the Crich entry from Pigot & Co's Commercial Directory for Derbyshire (1835).
- Ann ANDREWS provides a transcription of the Crich entry from Kelly's Directory of the Counties of Derby, Notts, Leicester and Rutland (1891).
- Colin HINSON provides a transcription of the section for Crich from the National Gazetteer (1868).
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Crich to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Crich has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
- At the time of the 1086 Domesday Survey there was an active lead mine in Crich.
- An observatory was built on Crich Cliff in 1788 and rebuilt in stone in 1851.
- The parish feast was traditionally held on October 11th each year.
- The National Tramway Museum is in Crich.
- Gary REGGAE has a photograph of a Tram Car at the museum on Geo-graph, taken in June, 2002.
- Peter TARLETON has a photograph of a Police Call Box (or Tardis Machine) on Geo-graph, taken in April, 2007.
- Graham HOGG has a photograph of a the Crich Market Cross on Geo-graph, taken in January, 2018.
- P. L. CHADWICK also has a photograph of a the Crich Market Cross on Geo-graph, taken in April, 2009. Her photo caption gives a little history on the cross.
- "Row17" has a photograph of a the Black Swan pub on Geo-graph, taken in June, 2013.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SK349542 (Lat/Lon: 53.083885, -1.480416), Crich which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- Just to the north of town, at Crich Stand is a Sherwood Foresters' Memorial.
- Alan MURRAY-RUST has a photograph of the War Memorial Cross in front of the parish church on Geo-graph, taken in March, 2009.
- You may also want to see the Crich Parish site by Peter PATILLA for additional World War I records.
- Locals pronounce the name as "CRY-ch".
- The name Crich is from the Celtic Crug for "a mound or hill". In 1009 the name is rendered as Cryc, In the 1086 Domesday Book, the village is given as Crice.
[A. D. MILLS, "A Dictionary of English Place-Names," Oxford University Press, 1991]
If it happened in Crich, it probably wound up in the Derby Mercury Newspaper. Here, below, are some clips from the newspaper:
From the Derby Mercury, Thursday June 19th 1800: "We are glad to record the following worthy example which we hope may become general. Mr Thomas BOMER of Fritchley near Crich in the County of Derby, farmer is now selling his wheat (which is of a very good quality) amongst the poor working inhabitants in the neighbouring villages at 8s per strike."
See this and other snippets at Crich Parish Site.
Jane TAYLOR in Redcar found this announcement in the Derby Mercury of December 1, 1803, MARRIED: "Monday last, Mr. George BOWNES, grocer, of Crich, in this county, to Miss Mary HUDSON, daughter of Mr. James HUDSON, of this town."
You may also wish to see copies of the High Peak Reporter which covered this area.
Jane TAYLOR in Redcar provides this announcement from the Derby Mercury of 30 June, 1803: DIED: "On Sunday the 12th instant, after a long and painful illness, Mr. Jacob REDFERN of Wheatcroft, in this county."
Jane TAYLOR in Redcar contributes this announcement from the Derby Mercury of 15 September, 1803: DIED: "On Wednesday the 7th inst. a melancholy accident happened at Crich, in this county, as Mrs. TURTON, wife of Mr. John TURTON, was attempting to water some linen which lay on the bank of a large fish pond near the house, when the act of lading water, she unfortunately fell in and was drowned;
- the dish which she used for the purpose was seen in the pond, which led to a discovery.
- The body was not found till two hours after; every means were used to restore her, but without effect.
- By her death her husband has lost a virtuous and affectionate wife, her friends a real friend, and the world a true pattern of Christian charity and humility."
Jane TAYLOR in Redcar offers this snippet from the Derby Mercury of 29 March 1804 DIED: "A few days ago at Crich, in this county, Miss Elizabeth SIMS, in her 99th year of her age, She had been confined to her bed for several years by a very lingering disorder, which she bore with exemplary fortitude."
Jane TAYLOR in Redcar contributes this snippet from the Derby Mercury of 21 June 1804 DIED: "Lately, aged 73, David WOODHOUSE, Esq. of Crich, in this county."
Jane TAYLOR also reports from the Derby Mercury of 7 November 1804: DIED: "On Thursday last, of a decline, much lamented by her parents and friends, Miss Elizabeth LEAM, of Frtitchley, near Crich, in this county, aged 15 years."
- This place was an ancient parish and three townships in Derbyshire and became a modern Civil Parish when those were established.
- This parish has a "foot" in each of three Hundreds. It was partly in the ancient Wirksworth Hundred (or Wapentake), partly in Scarsdale and partly in the Morleston and Litchurch Hundred.
- "Crich" township was in the Morleston and Litchurch Hundred.
- "Wessington" township was in the Scarsdale Hundred.
- "Tansley" township and chapelry was in the Wirksworth Hundred. Tansley eventually became a separate modern Civil Parish in its own right.
- You may contact the Crich Parish Council regarding civic or political issues, but they are NOT staffed to help you with family history searches.
- District governance is provided by the Amber Valley Borough Council.
- Bastardy cases would be heard in the Belper petty session hearings every other week.
- There is an index of over 30 Crich Bastardy Paper held at the DRO on the Yesterdays Journey website. Select "Bastardy Papers" on the left side, then "Crich" from the list of parishes displayed.
- As a result of the 1834 Poorlaw Amendment Act reforms, this parish became part of the Belper Poorlaw Union.
Peter PATILLA has the 1805 Land Tax records as transcribed by Heather Eaton on his Crich Website.