Hide

Dalbury with Lees

hide
Hide

DALBURY, (or Dalbury with Lees) a parish in the hundred of Appletree, in the county of Derby, 6 miles N.E. of Burton-on-Trent, the same distance S.W. of Derby, and 3½ N. of Egginton station. The line of railroad from Derby to Manchester passes through this parish, which is well wooded. The village is small, and wholly agricultural.

The living is a rectory in the diocese of Lichfield, value £206, in the patronage of Mrs. Eliza Cotton. The church, dedicated to All Saints, is an ancient stone structure. The chancel has recently been rebuilt, and contains a stained-glass window, said to be 600 years old. The tithes have been commuted for a rent-charge. The charities amount to £18 per annum. There is a free school for both sexes."

"LEES, a township in the parish of Dalbury, hundred of Appletree, county Derby, 5½ miles N.W. of Derby, and 6 N.E. of Burton-on-Trent. It is a joint township with Dalbury. It is situated on a branch of the river Dove.”

from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868

Hide
topup

Cemeteries

Jonathan CLITHEROE has a photograph of the church and graveyard at All Saints on Geo-graph, taken in October, 2014..

John CLEGG also has a photograph of some gravestones at Dalbury on Geo-graph, taken in January, 2007.

topup

Census

  • The parish was in the Repton sub-district of the Burton on Trent Registration District.
     
  • The table below gives census piece numbers, where known:
     
Census
Year
Piece No.
1861 R.G. 9 / 1960
1891 R.G. 12 / 2197
topup

Church History

  • The Anglican parish church is dedicated to All Saints.
     
  • The church Is described as an "ancient edifice of stone in the Later English style."
     
  • One stained glass window which display a figure of st. Michael is reportedly from the 13th century.
     
  • The church seats 129.
     
  • Mike BARDILL has a photograph of All Saints Church on Geo-graph, taken in December, 2006.
     
  • There is a mission chapel at Lees that seats 70..
     
topup

Church Records

  • The Anglican parish register dates from 1545 for all entries.
     
  • The Family History Library has the parish registers for 1545 thru 1982 on microfilm. They also have the Bishop's transcripts for 1676 thru 1874.
     
  • Louis MILLS has provided a partial extract of Parish Register Burials. Your additions and corrections are welcomed.
     
  • The church was in the rural deanery of Longford.
     
  • The Primitive Methodists had a chapel here before 1891.
topup

Civil Registration

  • Civil Registration began in July, 1837.
     
  • The parish was in the Repton sub-district of the Burton on Trent Registration District.
topup

Description & Travel

"DALBURY, (or Dalbury with Lees) a parish in the hundred of Appletree, in the county of Derby, 6 miles N.E. of Burton-on-Trent, the same distance S.W. of Derby, and 3½ N. of Egginton station."

[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin HINSON ©2003]

The Radbourne Brook flows through the parish.

You can see pictures of Dalbury with Lees which are provided by:

topup

Directories

topup

Gazetteers

topup

Historical Geography

You can see the administrative areas in which Dalbury with Lees has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.

topup

History

  • A popular spot for swapping local history tales is The Black Cow pub. in Lees.
     
  • Jonathan CLITHEROE has a photograph of The Black Cow Public House on Geo-graph, taken in June, 2013.
     
  • These are the names associated with The Black Cow in various directories:
     
Year  Person
1857 John NEAL, vict.
1874 John NEAL, v.
1899 John WAINWRIGHT, farmer
1912 Horace CHEEATHAM
topup

Maps

You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SK264344 (Lat/Lon: 52.90639, -1.608923), Dalbury with Lees which are provided by:

topup

Names, Geographical

  • "Dalbury" is from the Old Norse deity named "Delingr." The village is referred to twice in the 1086 Domesday Book; once as Delbebi, and once as Dellingeberie.
topup

Politics & Government

  • This place was an ancient parish in Derby county and it became a modern Civil Parish when those were established.
     
  • This parish was in the ancient Appletree Hundred (or Wapentake).
     
  • You may contact the Dalbury Lees Parish Council regarding civic or political issues, but they are NOT staffed to assist with family history searches.
     
  • District governance is provided by the South Derbyshire District Council.
topup

Poor Houses, Poor Law

  • Bastardy cases would be heard in the Derby petty session hearings every Friday.
     
  • There is an index of Dalbury Bastardy Lees Papers held at the DRO on the Yesterdays Journey website. Select "Bastardy Papers" on the left side, then "Dalbury" from the list of parishes displayed.
     
  • The Family History Library has the Churchwardens Accounts for 1852 thru 1916.
     
  • As a result of the 1834 Poorlaw Amendment Act reforms, the parish joined the Burtton upon Trent Poorlaw Union.
topup

Schools

By 1912 the parish had a Public Elementary Scholl (mixed) for 43 children.

topup

Taxation

Michael SPENCER provides the Dalbury Land Tax List for 1810 and 1821.