DARLEY, Derbyshire - Extract from National Gazetteer, 1868
1868 - The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland
"DARLEY, a parish in the hundreds of High Peake and Wirksworth, in the county of Derby, 5 miles S.E. from Bakewell, and 3½ N.W. of Matlock, its post town. It has a station on the Buxton branch of the Midland railway. The parish is situated on the river Derwent, and contains the townships of Wensley, Snitterton, and Griff Grange, and the hamlet of Darley Dale. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Lichfield, value £434, in the patronage of the bishop.
The church, dedicated to St. Helen, is an ancient structure, with a handsome tower: amongst its monuments is one to John of Darley, who was killed in the crusades. In the churchyard is a very old yew tree, which shows nearly 44 rings per inch.
At Cross Green, South Darley, is a district church dedicated to St. Mary. The living is a perpetual curacy, value £94, in the patronage of the rector. A priory was built here in the reign of Henry II. The Wesleyans have a chapel. There is an endowed school in the village, and a National school, with a small endowment, at Darley Dale. Flax spinning is carried on extensively. Staunton Woodhouse is the seat of the Duke of Rutland, who is lord of the manor. Fairs for cattle and sheep are held on the adjacent moors on the 13th May and 27th October."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin HINSON ©2003]