Hide

Derby, St Alkmund

hide
Hide

LITTLE CHESTER, (or Chester) a township and chapelry in the parish of Derby St. Alkmund, hundred of Morleston, in the county of Derby, 1 mile N. of Derby. It is situated on the Leeds railway and the river Derwent, and occupies the site of the Roman station Derventio, the Cestre of Doomsday. The wall which formerly surrounded it could be traced in 1721; but the whole of it has been removed by subsequent cultivation. The site measured 600 feet by 700.

The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of Lichfield, value £150, in the patronage of the bishop and crown alternately. The church, dedicated to St. Paul, and built in 1849 is a handsome structure in the decorated style. There are National schools for both sexes. In the vicinity have been found many Roman coins, and military ways led to Chesterton and Manchester.”

from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868

Hide
topup

Census

  • The parish was in the Derby sub-district of the Derby Registration District.
     
  • The table below gives census piece numbers, where known:
     
Census
Year
Piece No.
1841 H.O. 107 / 199
1861 R.G. 9 / 2494 thru 2497
1891 R.G. 12 / 2736 thru 2738
1901 R.G. 13 / 3215
topup

Church History

  • The first Christian church was raised here in 820 AD.
     
  • The 9th century church of Saint Alkmund was pulled down in 1841.
     
  • The Church of St. Alkmund was erected on Queen Street in 1846 at a cost of about £12,000.
     
  • This new church had a western tower with a lofty octagonal spire.
     
  • This church seated 1,250.
     
  • This church was demolished in 1968 to make way for a new Inner Ring road.
     
  • There is a new St. Alkmund Church building, erected in 1971 on Kedleston Road and consecrated in March 1972.
     
  • In 1984, St Werburgh ecclesiastical parish merged with St. Alkmund's.
topup

Church Records

  • The Anglican parish register dates from 1538 and is in good condition.
     
  • Marriages at St Alkmund's Church, 1538-1812 are available in Nigel BATTY-SMITH's database of scanned images of Phillimore's Parish Registers.
topup

Civil Registration

  • Civil Registration began in July, 1837.
     
  • The parish was in the Derby sub-district of the Derby Registration District.
topup

Description & Travel

Little Chester is a township and hamlet in this parish.
You can see pictures of Derby, St Alkmund which are provided by:

topup

Gazetteers

topup

Genealogy

From Janet ANDERSON in San Jose, California:

In the Derby Mercury for October 29, 1834: "MARY ELKIN, aged 19, was charged with stealing in the parish of Saint Alkmund, nineteen sovereigns and one five-pound note, the property of Mr. Thomas HEBBERN."

topup

Historical Geography

You can see the administrative areas in which Derby, St Alkmund has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.

topup

History

John Raphael SMITH was baptized at St. Alkmund's Church on 25 May 1751, Named after the great Renaissance artist, he was born to mother Hannah Silvester and a father who was also a well thought of citizen of Derby. One of his engravings is in the Derby Museum and Art Gallery.

topup

Maps

You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SK346372 (Lat/Lon: 52.931095, -1.48671), Derby, St Alkmund which are provided by:

topup

Medical Records

The Queen Mary Nursing Home was a private maternity hospital, founded around 1865. Hospitals did not have to archive patient records, but you may find photographs and administrative records in the Archives.

Ian CALDER has a photograph of the Queen Mary Nursing Home entrance on Geo-graph, taken in August, 2014.

topup

Newspapers

Jon CANTRILL provides this extract from the Derby Mercury of 7th January 1829: MARRIAGES: "On the 29th ult. At St. Alkmund's Church, by the Rev. C. R. HOPE, Mr. BAILEY, farmer, of Mickleover, to Elizabeth, daughter of Mr. T. MANSFIELD, of the Eagle and Child Public House, in this place."

Joy HUNGERFORD has this extract from the Derby Mercury of 18 April 1832: MARRIAGES: "Samuel MARTIN, aged 76, to Mrs. PARKES, 75, of St Alkmund's Parish in this town.

topup

Politics & Government

  • This place was an ancient parish in Derby county and it became a modern Civil Parish when those were established.
     
  • This parish was in the ancient Morleston and Litchurch Hundred (or Wapentake).
     
  • In 1898 this Civil Parish was abolished and merged into the new Derby Municipal Borough.
topup

Poor Houses, Poor Law

  • Bastardy cases would be heard in the Derby petty session hearings every Friday.
     
  • There is a single Derby St. Alkmund Bastardy Paper held at the DRO on the Yesterdays Journey website. Select "Bastardy Papers" on the left side, then "Derby St. Alkmund" from the list of parishes displayed.
     
  • With the passage of the Poor Law Amendment Act reforms of 1834, this parish became a member of the Derby Poorlaw Union.