Dethick and Holloway


Wikipedia tells us:

"Dethick, Lea and Holloway is a civil parish (and, since 1899, an ecclesiastical parish), in the Amber Valley borough of the English county of Derbyshire.


Archives & Libraries

Holloway is served by the Mobile Library on route N, which makes two stops in the village at Holme Close and the Yew Tree Inn every fourth Tuesday in the late morning.

The Library at Belper is an excellent resource for you.

Alternatively, the Library at Matlock is also an excellent resource.



Lea had a cemetery of one acre laid out in 1872. Before 1912, it was enlarged to 1.5 acres. It had a single mortuary chapel.

Alan HEARDMAN has a photograph of the Lea Cemetery on geo-graph, taken in March, 2008.



  • The parish was in the Ripley sub-district of the Belper Registration District.
  • Alan S. FLINT has the 1841 and 1851 census indexed on his Dethick website. Don't be surprised to be whisked off to another site, it is part of the design. In October, 2018, this site had still not been restored by Ancestry.
  • The table below gives census piece numbers, where known:
Piece No.
1861R.G. 9 / 2518
1891R.G. 12 / 2750

Church History

  • The Anglican parish church at Dethick is dedicated to Saint John the Baptist.
  • This stone church was built in 1220.
  • The tower was added in 1535.
  • This little church seats 60.
  • Chris MORGAN has a photograph of St John the Baptist Church on Geo-graph, taken in March, 2015.
  • Colin PARK has a photograph of St. John's Church on Geo-graph, taken in September, 2011.

Church Records

  • St. John's parish register dates from 1801.
  • The church was in the rural deanery of Alfreton.
  • Lea had a small Wesleyan Methodist chapel built in 1838-39.
  • Alan HEARDMAN has a photograph of the Holloway United Medthodist Chapel on Geo-graph, taken in March, 2008.
  • David BEVIS has a photograph of the Holloway Primitive Medthodist Chapel on Geo-graph, taken in August, 2011. This chapel was built in 1852 and enlarged in 1879. It is now a private residence.

Civil Registration

  • Civil Registration began in July, 1837.
  • The parish was in the Ripley sub-district of the Belper Registration District.
  • Remember that prior to 1867, this place was part of Ashover Civil Parish and that Holloway didn't join Dethick until late in 1896.

Description & Travel

"HOLLOWAY and [DETHWICK] LEA are two villages, two and a half miles from Cromford, containing considerable lead works, a manufactory for hosiery and merino spinning, and one for hats. The situation of these village is highly picturesque. From Lea the inclined plane of the High Peak railway ascends to the summit of the lofty bills which environ Cromford. Lea, or Dethwick Lea, and Holloway (in the parish of Ashover), form one hamlet, containing 675 inhabitants."

[Description from Pigot and Co's Commercial Directory for Derbyshire, 1835]

Chris MORGAN has a photograph of Stepping Stones Across the Lea Brook on Geo-graph, taken in March, 2015.

You can see pictures of Dethick and Holloway which are provided by:







  • Chris MORGAN has a photograph of the Jug and Glass Inn on Geo-graph, taken in March, 2015.
  • Alan MURRAY-RUST has a photograph of the old Yew Tree Pub. on Geo-graph, taken in October, 2009. It has been converted to a residence.
  • Florence NIGHTINGALE lived part of her life in the family home at Lea Hurst.
  • The Florence Nightingale Memorial Hall is the Village Hall used by a number of organizations and clubs for local meetings.
  • Peter BARR has a photograph of the Florence Nightingale Memorial Hall on Geo-graph, taken in March, 2010.
  • Michael SPENCER has this snippet of history to report:
"Confirmation by Godfrey OUTRAM parson of Ashover on testimony of Giles and Ralph AMOT, Andrew ALLEN and Edward COWLISHAW knowing Dethick in the time of Thomas BABBINGTON, his father Sir Anthony BABBINGTON and grand father Thomas BABBINGTON and the evidence of Ester Rolls of practice of predecessors Mr EYE, in 1550, Dr ROOS in 1529 Mr Leonard RERESBIE Mr HARRISON and Mr HULLEY of a custom of payments by Lords and owner of house in Dethick of four marks yearly in lieu of all tithes except oblations for selves, wives, children, servants wages and offspring. Dated 1613. "

And Jurors list for 1775, DETHICK, TANSLEY and LEA:

  • Peter NIGHTINGALE Esq.
  • John COWLEY Lea
  • Geo. SMITH
  • James SPENCER Tansley
  • Henry GREGORY Constable


You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SK330570 (Lat/Lon: 53.109174, -1.508494), Dethick and Holloway which are provided by:


Military History


Military Records

  • The Commonwealth War Grave would be for Pilot Sergeant Michael Gervase HAM who died in November, 1940, RAF Vol. Reserve. He was the son of Revd. Herbert and Hilda Annie HAM of Cromford.

Politics & Government

  • This pair of hamlets were physically very close to one another and formed an ancient Township in Ashover parish in Derby county.
  • Dethick was incorporated as a separate, modern Civil Parish in December, 1866.
  • Holloway was merged with Dethick Civil Parish in December, 1896.
  • On 2 July 1901 a part of Crich Civil Parish was annexed to Dethick Civil Parish.
  • This parish was a part of the ancient Wirksworth Hundred (or Wapentake).
  • You may contact the local Dethick, Lea and Holloway Parish Council regarding civic or political issues, but they are NOT staffed to help you with family history searches.
  • District governance is provided by the Amber Valley Borough Council.

Poor Houses, Poor Law

  • Bastardy cases would be heard in the Matlock and Wirksworth petty session hearings.
  • As a result of the 1834 Poorlaw Amendment Act reforms, this parish became part of the Belper Poorlaw Union.

Probate Records


35 George DICKEN Dethick, farmer, mentions;
wife Mary
eldest son Robert
late Uncle Robert DICKENS Will
youngest son George Allen DICKEN
witness Hy RADFORD
witness dau Mary Elizabeth DICKEN
dau Anne DICKEN
dau Catharine DICKEN
dau Ruth Alice DICKEN
dau Margarert Hannah DICKEN
John LEE witness
Robert DICKEN Snr witness
Joseph SANDERS Newbound, Teversal ,Executor.



A Public Elementary School was built here in Lea in 1859 for 200 children. It was enlarged in 1889 for 264 children.

Andrew HILL has a photograph of Lea Elementary School on Geo-graph, taken in March, 2013.

The Lea Green Learning and Development Centre is a relatively new facility focused on outdoor learning. The building dates from 1761. It was purchased in 1960 by the Derbyshire County Council. Over the next three decades the facility was expanded and developed into today's modern outdoor learning and adventurism facility.