John Marius WILSON's "Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales, 1870-72". tells us:
"DORE, a township and a chapelry in Dronfield parish, Derby. The township lies near the river Sheaf, adjacent to Yorkshire, 3 miles NW of Dronfield, and 5 SW by S of Sheffield r. station; and has a post office under Sheffield. Pop., 610. Houses, 131. The chapelry includes also the township of Totley; and was constituted in 1844. Rated property, £2,839. Pop., 1,006. Houses, 213. The property is divided among a few. Quarrying, brick-making, the preparing of copperas, and the making of saw-handles are carried on. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Lichfield. Value, £90. Patron, Earl Fitzwilliam. The church was rebuilt in 1828. There are Wesleyan and P. Methodist chapels, an endowed school with £33 a year, and charities £12."
- Neil THEASBY has a photograph of Christ Church churchyard on Geo-graph, taken in January, 2017.
- The parish was in the Dore sub-district of the Eclesall Berlow Registration District.
- The table below gives census piece numbers, where known:
Piece No. 1871 R.G. 10 / 4666 1891 R.G. 12 / 3800
- The old chapel was built here around 1700 and was taken down when the new church was built.
- The Anglican parish church was dedicated to Christ.
- Christ Church was built in 1828-1829.
- Christ Church ecclesiastical parish was created in 1844.
- Alterations and improvements to the church were made in 1864 and 1882.
- The chancel was enlarged in 1897.
- The church seats 300.
- Andrew HILL has a photograph of Christ Church on Geo-graph, taken in November, 2012.
- The Anglican parish register dates from 1813 for baptisms, 1844 for marriages and 1829 for burials.
- The church was in the rural deanery of Dronfield.
- The Primitive Methodists had a chapel built here in 1860.
- Andrew HILL has a photograph of the Methodist Church on High Street on Geo-graph, taken in November, 2012.
- A Union chapel (for Baptists and Congregationalists) was built here in 1910.
- Civil Registration began in July, 1837.
- Prior to 1867, look for Civil Registration records under Dronfield parish.
- Starting in 1867, the parish was in the Dore sub-district of the Ecclesall Bierlow Registration District.
The village lies on a hill above the Rive Sheaf on the Yorkshire border.
"DORE is a hamlet, also in the parish of Dronfield, about a mile and a half therefrom, and nine miles north-west from Chesterfield; it is a place of no consideration in the way of trade. The number of inhabitants, in 1831, was 527."
[Description from Pigot and Co's Commercial Directory for Derbyshire, 1835]
M. J. RICHARDSON has a photograph of the Dore and Totley Train Station on Geo-graph, taken in July 1960.
- A Description of Dore has been transcribed by Heather FAULKES from Pigot's Directory of 1828-9.
- Rosemary LOCKIE provides a transcription of the Dore entry under Dronfield from Pigot & Co's Commercial Directory for Derbyshire (1835).
- Ann ANDREWS provides a transcription of the Dore entry from Kelly's Directory of the Counties of Derby, Notts, Leicester and Rutland (1891).
- The transcription of the section for Dore from the National Gazetteer (1868) provided by Colin HINSON.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Dore to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Dore has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
- The village is mentioned in the Anglo-Saxon Chronicle in 827 (or 829).
- Neil THEASBY has a photograph of commemoration stone on the green on Geo-graph, taken in January, 2017.
- The railway came to Dore in 1894.
- David MARTIN has a photograph of the Hare and Hounds Public House on Geo-graph, taken in April, 2019.
- Chris MORGAN has a photograph of the Crown Inn on Geo-graph, taken in March, 2016.
- Jonathan CLITHEROE has a photograph of the Moor Inn on Geo-graph, taken in May, 2012.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SK307812 (Lat/Lon: 53.326834, -1.54053), Dore which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- During World War I the Red Cross established a VAD Hospital here, along with an annex, in St. John's church room.
- The World War I war memorial, built in 1921, is captured in photographs at the Dore Village website. The plaque was added to the memorial after World War II.
- Andrew HILL has a photograph of the War Memorial on Geo-graph, taken in November, 2012.
- Jonathan CLITHEROE also has a photograph of the War Memorial on Geo-graph, taken in July, 2014.
- On the north wall of the church nave in Christ Church, Dore, is a memorial to 2nd Lieut. Donald.K HALL, age 20, Royal Artillery, died 9 Oct 1917, Paschendaele.
- The World War I casualty list can be found at the Dore Village website.
- "'Narrow pass', v. dor. The valley from which it is named was formerly on the boundary between the kingdoms of Mercia and Northumbria, and subsequently between Derbyshire and the West Riding of Yorkshire."
(Ref: The Place-Names of Derbyshire, K. CAMERON, Cambridge University Press, 1959)
Although Dore was historically in Derbyshire, it is now a suburb of Sheffield.
- This place was an ancient Chapelry in Dronfield parish and became a separate Civil Parish in December, 1866.
- This parish was in the ancient Scarsdale Hundred (or Wapentake).
- This Civil Parish was abolished in April 1934 and all 2,168 acres merged into Sheffield Civil Parish in Yorkshire.
- Bastardy cases would be heard in the Eckington petty session hearings.
- There is an index of Dore Bastardy Papers held at the DRO on the Yesterdays Journey website. Select "Bastardy Papers" on the left side, then "Dore" from the list of parishes displayed.
- As a result of the 1834 Poorlaw Amendment Act reforms, this parish was in the Ecclesall Bierlow Poorlaw Union.
- Three almshouses were built on Tetley Brook Road in 1900 by Christopher CARTER.
- Wills of Dore and Totley 1539 - 1747 is a book of 58 pages edited by David HEY, and published by the Dore Village Society in 1990. The Wills (including inventories) were transcribed by the Local History class, and the book contains 10 full transcriptions plus a list of all the other wills and inventories which were transcribed.
The Dore Village Society was founded in 1964. It was conceived as a conservation society, but has also recorded a lot of history about buildings and businesses in the town.