DOVERIDGE, Derbyshire - Extract from National Gazetteer, 1868
1868 - The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland
"DOVERIDGE, a parish in the hundred of Appletree, S. division of the county of Derby, 2 miles from Uttoxeter, its post town and nearest station on the North Staffordshire railway, and 10 S.W. of Ashbourne. It is situated on the river Dove, and contains the hamlets of Eaton, Sedall, and West Broughton. It was once a market town, and formed part of the demesne of Tutbury Priory.
The living is a vicarage* in the diocese of Lichfield, value £562, in the patronage of Lord Waterpark. The church is dedicated to St. Cuthbert. In the churchyard is a very ancient yew-tree, also the remains of a cross. There are several charities. The Wesleyans and Primitive Methodists have places of worship. There are free, National, and infant schools. Doveridge Hall is the seat of Lord Waterpark."
"EATON, a hamlet in the parish of Doveridge, county Derby, 2 miles N.E. of Uttoxeter. It is situated near the river Dove, and includes the small hamlet of Ledsall."
"SEDSALL WITH EATON, a hamlet in the parish of Doveridge, county Derby, 3 miles N.E. of Uttoxeter, on the river Dove."
"WEST BROUGHTON, a hamlet in the parish of Doveridge, hundred of Appletree, in the county of Derby, 8 miles to the N.W. of Burton-on-Trent. It is seated near the river Dove."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin HINSON ©2003]