Open a form to report problems or contribute information

 
1 Introduction 2 Message details 3 Upload file 4 Submitted
Page 1 of 4

Help and advice for Duffield

If you have found a problem on this page then please report it on the following form. We will then do our best to fix it. If you are wanting advice then the best place to ask is on the area's specific email lists. All the information that we have is in the web pages, so please do not ask us to supply something that is not there. We are not able to offer a research service.

If you wish to report a problem, or contribute information, then do use the following form to tell us about it. We have a number of people each maintaining different sections of the web site, so it is important to submit information via a link on the relevant page otherwise it is likely to go to the wrong person and may not be acted upon.

Duffield

topup

Archives and Libraries

The Duffield Branch Library on Wirksworth Road ear Ecclesbourne Close is normally open four days a week, but are closed on Sunday, Tuesday and Thursdays. They do have a Local Studies and Family History section to help you with your research.

Peter BARR has a photograph of the Library on Geo-graph, taken in December, 2010.

topup

Bibliography

  • WILTSHIRE, Mary (and others) - Duffield Firth. Landmark, 2005. ISBN 1-84306-191-0.
topup

Cemeteries

  • Duffield opened a cemetery of 3.5 acres in March, 1880, with 2 mortuary chapels, shared with Milford parish.
     
  • The Duffield Parish Council website has a good description and short history of the cemetery.
     

topup

Census

  • The parish was the centre of the Duffield sub-district of the Belper Registration District.
     
  • The table below gives census piece numbers, where known:
     
Census
Year
Piece No.
1851 H.O. 107 / 2144
1861 R.G. 9 / 2507 thru 2510 & 2513 & 2518
1891 R.G. 12 / 2741
1901 R.G. 13 / 3226

Churches

You can also perform a more selective search for churches in the Duffield area or see them printed on a map.

topup

Church History

  • This place had a Saxon church at the time of the 1086 Domesday Book.
     
  • The Anglican parish church is dedicated to Saint Alkmund.
     
  • No trace remains of the early Saxon church dedicated to Saint Alkmund.
     
  • The church was extensively restored in 1847.
     
  • The church seats 578.
     
  • A fine Yew tree of great age stands in the churchyard.
     
  • Michael BARDILL has a photograph of St Alkmund's Church and the War Memorial on Geo-graph, taken in August, 2006.
topup

Church Records

  • The Anglican parish registers date from 1598 and is generally in very good condition.
     
  • Marriages at Duffield, 1598-1812 are available in Nigel BATTY-SMITH's database of scanned images of Phillimore's Parish Registers.
     
  • Michael SPENCER has provided a partial extract of burials found in the parish register. Your additions and corrections are welcomed.
     
  • The church used to have a handout for visitors telling where to find families in the church graveyard.
     
  • The church was in the rural deanery of Duffield.
     
  • Available at the Derbyshire Record Office, Matlock (original registers):
  1. Baptisms 1598-1980
  2. Marriages 1598-1980
  3. Banns 1754-1773, 1880-1962
  4. Burials 1598-1960
     
  • The records above are on microfilm at the Family History Library in Salt Lake City, Utah.
     
  • The Baptist chapel was built here in 1830, only 20 years after the Baptist community was formed here.
     
  • The Wesleyan Methodist chapel was built on King Street in 1777, rebuilt in 1855 and replaced by a new chapel in 1904.
     
  • David LALLY has a photograph of the King Street Methodist Church on Geo-graph, taken in April, 2011.
     
  • The Methodist Free (later "United Methodist") chapel was built in 1843 on Town Street.
     
  • David BEVIS has a photograph of the Evangelical Methodist Church on Geo-graph, taken in March, 2006.
topup

Civil Registration

  • Civil Registration began in July, 1837.
     
  • The parish was the centre of the Duffield sub-district of the Belper Registration District.
topup

Description and Travel

"DUFFIELD is a large and pleasant village, in the populous parish of its name, in the hundred of Appletree: the village is situate on a fine plain, over which the main road passes, leading from Derby to Belper, Matlock, and Sheffield; about four and a half miles north from Derby, and three and a half south from Belper. It has long been esteemed a favourite residence of persons enjoying a respectable competence, who prefer retirement and quiet to the bustle of larger towns."

[Description from Pigot and Co's Commercial Directory for Derbyshire, 1835]

This village, township and parish sit in a valley on the banks of the Derwent River 5 miles north of Derby city, 3 miles south of Belper and 132 miles north of London.

Windley Township is 2.5 miles north-west of Duffield village. Flaxholme is a hamlet due south of Duffield on the Derby Road. Makeney is a hamlet due north of the village of Duffield,

Richard LAW has a photograph of the Duffield (west) milepost on Geo-graph, taken in February, 2010. The mileage to London, Wirksworth and Derby are shown.

Nigel THOMPSON provides a photograph of the Duffield RR Station on Geo-graph, taken in November, 2011.

David LALLY provides a photograph of A swan on the Derwent on Geo-graph, taken in April, 2011.

You can see pictures of Duffield which are provided by:

topup

Directories

topup

Gazetteers

Ask for a calculation of the distance from Duffield to another place.

Click here for a list of nearby places.

topup

Historical Geography

You can see the administrative areas in which Duffield has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.

topup

History

  • The Romans had a station here.
     
  • The Normans made pottery here.
     
  • Duffield Castle used to stand in this parish on Castle Hill. The castle was burned down by the Royal Army in 1266 in retribution for an act of treason.
     
  • J. THOMAS has a photograph of Duffield Castle remains on Geo-graph, taken in March, 2005.
     
  • Stephen McKAY has a photograph of The Pattenmakers Arms on Geo-graph, taken in February, 2015. He even provides a bit of history in his photo caption.
     
  • David LALLY also has a photograph of The Pattenmakers Arms on Geo-graph, taken in April, 2011
     
  • Ian S. has a photograph of The Kings Head pub. on Geo-graph, taken in January, 2015.
     
  • The Kings Head Public Houses had the following proprietors listed in Directories:
     Year  Person
    1831 George MILLWARD
    1857 John STANESBY
    1895 Henry WILD
    1912 Mrs. Sarah FLANDERS
    topup

    Manors

    In 1912, Colonel Granville Roland Francis SMITH, C.V.O., resided in Duffield Hall. He served in the Coldstream Guards and was to die on 4 March, 1917, in France.

    topup
    topup

    Military History

    • During World War I the Red Cross established a VAD Auxiliary Hospital here.
       
    • John M. has a photograph of The Pastures on Geo-graph, taken in April, 2017. This was the building used as an Auxiliary Hospital during the Great War.
       
    • The War Memorial is a tall cross on a three-step base next to Saint Alkmund's Church.
       
    • Eamon CURRY has a photograph of the Duffield War Memorial next to the church on Geo-graph, taken in March, 2010.
    topup

    Military Records

    The nine Commonwealth War Graves in Duffield Cemetery (data from the CWGC site) are for:

    Name Rank Unit Died Other info.
    John Philip Wilfred Henry DAVIS second lieutenant Royal Corps of Signals 14 June 1942 Chr. on 18 Jun 1921, son of Wilfrid Henry and Julia DAVIS.
    Sam EYRE private K coy., Army Service Corps 13 Feb. 1917 Age 36, son of George Augustus and Millicent EYRE
    John Rainsford HASLAM gunner 439 Indep. H.A.A. Bty., Royal Artillery 3 Oct. 1944 Age 28, son of John William and Edith Annie RAINSFORD of Milford.
    Kenneth Arthur HILL major 501 Coast Regt., Royal Artillery 16 Feb. 1943 Age 43, husband of Kathleen M. HILL of Mablethorpe, LIN.
    Charles Melville JONES co. quartermaster serjeant 10th Btln., Sherwood Foresters 15 Feb. 1919 Age 31, husband of Ann JONES of Milford.
    Reginald KINDER sapper Royal Engineers 13 May 1941 Age 26, son of Violet Lilian KINDER
    Wingfield LAND private 2/4 Yorkshire Regt. 23 Nov. 1918 Age 39, husband of Susan LAND of Milford
    Norman SMITH lance serjeant 155 Rly. Works coy., Royal Engineers 23 Dec. 1943 Age 43, husband of Ethel Lillian SMITH
    Maurice STONE sapper 297 Rly. coy., Royal Engineers 15 Dec. 1919 Age 31, husband of Violet Lilian STONE
    topup

    Politics and Government

    • This place was an ancient parish in Derby county and became a modern Civil Parish when those were established.
       
    • This parish was in the ancient Appletree Hundred (or Wapentake).
       
    • You may contact the Duffield Parish Council regarding civic or political issues, but they are NOT staffed to assist with family history searches.
       
    • District governance is provided by the Amber Valley Borough Council.
    topup

    Poor Houses, Poor Law etc.

    • Bastardy cases would be heard in the Belper petty session hearings every other Wednesday.
       
    • In 1667, an endowment left by Edward POTTERELL was used to build an almshouse for two poor people of the parish.
       
    • The Common Land was enclosed here in 1791.
       
    • As a result of the 1834 Poorlaw Amendment Act reforms, this parish became part of the Belper Poorlaw Union.
    topup

    Schools

    • A grammar school at Duffield was founded in 1565 by William GILBERT.
      (Ref: A History of Derbyshire, Gladwyn TURBUTT, 1999)
       
    • A Boys' Endowed School was erected here in 1869, partly funded by William GILBERT's charity. It was enlarged in 1907 to hold 180 boys.
       
    • A National Church of England Girls' School was erected here in 1870 for 100 girls. Average attendance in 1895 was 90 girls.
       
    • An Infants' School was erected here in 1896 for 110 children.