"DUFFIELD, a parish in the hundred of Appletree, in the county of Derby, 3 miles S. of Belper, 4 N. of Derby, and 132 from London by the Midland Counties railway, which has a station here, and proceeds through a tunnel at Milford. It is beautifully situated on the western bank of the river Derwent, and contains the townships and hamlets of Belper, Bridge Hill, Duffield, Heage, Hazlewood, Holbrooke, Makeney, Postern, and Shottle, besides the market towns of Belper, Turnditch, and Windley. In Domesday it is written Dunelle. A castle was built here by Henry de Ferrers at the latter end of the 11th century, which was destroyed by Henry II. in 1325.
The inhabitants are chiefly employed in mining, stocking and lace making, and cotton spinning. The living is a vicarage* in the diocese of Lichfield, value £170, in the patronage of the bishop. The parish church is a handsome structure in the Gothic style. It is dedicated to All Saints, and contains several monuments to the Mynors and Bradshaw families, some of them more than three centuries old.
There are also the following district churches:- Belper, a perpetual curacy*, value £158, in the patronage of the vicar; Bridge Hill, a perpetual curacy*, value £150, in the patronage of the crown and bishop alternately; Hazlewood, a perpetual curacy*, value £100, in the patronage of the bishop; Heage, a perpetual curacy*, value £150, in the patronage of the vicar; Holbrooke, a perpetual curacy, value £56, in the patronage of T. W. Evans, Esq.; Milford, a perpetual curacy*, value £150, in the patronage of the crown and bishop alternately; and Turnditch, a perpetual curacy, value £63, in the patronage of the vicar.
The parochial charities produce about £383, of which £124 goes to Gilbert's free schools, and £104 to Webster's Charity. The Wesleyans and Baptists have each a chapel, and there are day, Sunday, and infant schools. There are several handsome residences in the parish. Sir Edward Repps Jodrell, Bart., is lord of the manor. Fairs are held on the Thursday after the 1st January and 1st March for cattle."
"BRIDGE HILL, a village in the parish of Duffield, and hundred of Appletree, in the county of Derby, not far from Belper. It is situated near the river Derwent and the Midland railway. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of Lichfield, of the value of £130, in the alternate patronage of the bishop and the crown. The principal mansion is Bridge Hill House."
"HAZLEWOOD, a township in the parish of Duffield, hundred of Appletree, county Derby, 2 miles S.W. of Belper, its post town, 6 S.W. of Derby, and 2 from the Duffield station on the Midland railway. It is a small agricultural village, situated near the river Derwent. The living is a perpetual curacy* in the diocese of Lichfield, value £200. The church, which was erected in 1846 by private donations, is dedicated to St. John; the interior contains a handsome screen, font, and a stained E. window. There is a place of worship for Wesleyans; also a National school for both sexes, which adjoins the church. Hazlewood Hall is the principal residence. Lord Scarsdale is lord of the manor."
"MAKENEY is an inconsiderable hamlet, about two miles north from Duffield, with which the population is returned."
"WINDLEY, a township in the parish of Duffield, county Derby, 3 miles S.W. of Belper, and 6½ N.W. of Derby."