Open a form to report problems or contribute information

 
1 Introduction 2 Message details 3 Upload file 4 Submitted
Page 1 of 4

Help and advice for ECKINGTON, Derbyshire - Extract from National Gazetteer, 1868

If you have found a problem on this page then please report it on the following form. We will then do our best to fix it. If you are wanting advice then the best place to ask is on the area's specific email lists. All the information that we have is in the web pages, so please do not ask us to supply something that is not there. We are not able to offer a research service.

If you wish to report a problem, or contribute information, then do use the following form to tell us about it. We have a number of people each maintaining different sections of the web site, so it is important to submit information via a link on the relevant page otherwise it is likely to go to the wrong person and may not be acted upon.

ECKINGTON, Derbyshire - Extract from National Gazetteer, 1868

[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer (1868)]
"ECKINGTON, a parish in the hundred of Scarsdale, county Derby, 6 miles N.E. of Chesterfield, its post town, and 8 S.E. of Sheffield. It is a station on the Midland Counties line. The parish is situated near the river Rother, and includes the townships of Mosborough, Ridgway, Renishaw, and Troway. Coal and stone are extensively worked. A large portion of the inhabitants are employed in the potteries and iron foundry, and in the manufacture of hardware goods, such as penknives, shovels, nails, and implements of husbandry.

Petty sessions are held here monthly. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Lichfield, value £774, in the patronage of the crown. The parish church is dedicated to SS. Peter and Paul. There is a district church at Ridgway, the living of which is a perpetual curacy, value £300, in the patronage of the rector. The parochial charities produce about £140 per annum, £63 of which are appropriated to the schools.

The Wesleyans and Methodists have each a chapel, and the Roman Catholics have a church and college at Spink Hill, in this parish. There is an endowed free school, also National and infant schools. Here are some traces of old Roman roads. Sir Sitwell Rearsby Sitwell, Bart., is lord of the manor. Friday is the market day for provisions, and cattle fairs are held on the third Wednesday in April and October."

"MOSBOROUGH, a township in the parish of Eckington, hundred of Scarsdale, county Derby, 1 mile from Eckington church, 5 miles N.E. of Dronfield, and 6 S.E. of Sheffield. It is situated near the line of the North Midland railway and the river Rother. The village, which stands on an elevated site on the road from Sheffield to Worksop by Barlborough, commands extensive views, and was anciently a Roman settlement. Wooden hoop measures are manufactured, also sickles. The inhabitants are partly employed in the neighbouring collieries. There are places of worship for the Wesleyans and Primitive Methodists, also an endowed school for the free education of fifteen children."

"RENISHAW, a township in the parish of Eckington, hundred of Scarsdale, county Derby, 6 miles N.E. of Chesterfield. It is situated on the river Rothie and Chesterfield canal, and near the Leeds railway. The inhabitants are chiefly employed in the coal mines and iron-works. On the bank of the canal is an extensive iron foundry. There is a school with a small endowment."

[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin HINSON ©2003]