EDINGALE, Derbyshire - Extract from National Gazetteer, 1868
1868 - The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland
"EDINGALE, (or Edginghall) a parish partly in the N. division of the hundred of Offlow, county Stafford, and partly in the hundred of Repton and Gresley, county Derby, 5 miles N.E. of Tamworth, its post town, and 7 N.E. of Lichfield. It is situated on the river Meese, which bounds the parish on the S. and S.W. The Haselour railway station, on the Birmingham and Derby line, is 2 miles S.W. of the village.
There are some traces of a Roman raised way in the direction of Lullington in Derbyshire, and near it is a tumulus. The tithes were commuted in 1791. The living is a perpetual curacy* in the diocese of Lichfield, value £80, in the patronage of the bishop. The church is a plain brick structure dedicated to the Holy Trinity. Buckeridge, the antiquary, for some time held the living. The charities produce about £4 per annum. The Earl of Lichfield is lord of the manor."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin HINSON ©2003]